This vegan gluten-free pumpkin bread is a moist, easy, nourishing pumpkin bread recipe perfect for breakfast. You will love the comforting flavors of the cinnamon, pumpkin and chocolate chips!
What is a vegan pumpkin bread?
A vegan pumpkin bread is a dairy-free and egg-free moist bread made with pumpkin puree. It is a delicious sweet bread to start the day or as a coffee cake.
How to make vegan gluten free pumpkin bread?
It’s very easy to make your own vegan gluten-free pumpkin bread. Actually, all you need are a few simple pantry ingredients:
- Brown rice flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Almond flour – for a nut-free option, use sunflower seed flour or sesame flour
- Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Spices – a combo of ground cinnamon and nutmeg is the best to enhance the pumpkin flavor of this vegan pumpkin bread
- Pumpkin puree – you can either buy canned pumpkin puree, it’s usually 100% pumpkin, no additives. Otherwise, make your own puree by roasting or steaming pumpkin pieces. Cool down to room temperature, and then blend the cooked pumpkin into a puree.
- Plant-based milk – unsweetened almond milk or oat milk work well or any other dairy-free milk
- Melted coconut oil or any nut oil or healthy light vegetable oil you like
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan dark chocolate chips – this is optional but recommended!
How to store your bread?
It is recommended to store vegan pumpkin bread in the fridge. While the recipe doesn’t contains egg or dairy, the pumpkin puree stores longer in the fridge. You can also freeze your pumpkin bread. Of course, think of slicing the bread first, then freeze the cut slices in an airtight box. Defrost the day before at room temperature.
More vegan pumpkin recipes
If you love vegan pumpkin recipes I recommend you also try:
Don’t forget to share a picture of your lovely bread on Instagram! I love to see your creation.
Your friend, Carine
Vegan gluten-free pumpkin bread
- 2 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup Water - lukewarm
- Preheat oven to 180°C (370°F). Line a loaf pan 9 inches x 5 inches with parchment paper. Slightly brush the paper with melted coconut oil - I used a teaspoon of melted coconut oil that I brushed all over the paper to make sure the bread won't stick to it. Set aside.
Prepare the flax egg
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the flax meal with lukewarm water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until it forms a egg-like texture.
Prepare the bread
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together, pumpkin puree, flax eggs, unsweetened almond milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown rice flour, almond flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and chocolate chips.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until it forms a consistent batter.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan with the pumpkin bread batter.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes. You can cover the pan with a piece of foil after 25 minutes to prevent the top of the bread from burning or getting too dark.
- Remove from the oven cool down 10 minutes in the pan, then lift the parchment paper to lift the pumpkin bread from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cool down on a rack for at least 4 hours or overnight before slicing into 12 slices.
- Store up to 5 days in a cake box in the fridge or freeze slices in an airtight container.