This healthy vegan banana bread recipe is an easy banana bread recipe ready in 10 minutes and made with only 7 wholesome ingredients. Plus, it is a refined-sugar-free and nut-free recipe.
Simple 7 ingredients bread recipe
We all need a good vegan banana bread recipe! Banana bread is comfort food by excellence and everyone deserves a piece. This simple vegan banana bread is made with only 7 wholesome ingredients all good for you. I’ll walk you through what you need to make it.
- Bananas, ripe bananas, the ugly ones with black spots on the skins. Prefer darker bananas that are will make your bread that much sweeter
- Spelt flour or all purpose gluten-free flour if you are gluten free vegan
- Coconut sugar, it is my favorite unrefined crystal sugar. It adds a caramel flavor and golden brown color to baking. Also, the Glycemic Index of coconut sugar is lower than brown sugar and consequently release a steady level of energy through the day.
- Extra virgin coconut oil or any vegetable oil you like
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla essence
An healthy vegan banana bread
This is not only a simple vegan banana bread recipe but also an healthy banana bread recipe full of fiber, protein and minerals. Let me explain why !
First, this recipe use spelt flour instead of white wheat which adds fiber. In fact, 100 grams of spelt flour brings you 8 grams of fiber and 13 grams of proteins. Note that white wheat flour contains only 2.7 grams of fiber and 10 g protein. Fiber are very important for your body, it maintains healthy guts and a steady level of energy through the day.
Next, this banana bread recipe use coconut sugar as a sweetener. Coconut sugar contains iron, zinc and calcium and has a lower GI than white sugar.
Finally, the recipe calls for coconut oil which has a high amount of lauric acid, a natural anti fungal
I hope you enjoyed this healthy vegan baking recipe! Don’t forget to Pin the recipe below to save it for later!
Your friend, Carine
healthy vegan banana bread
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 fresh banana – to decorate on the top
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Line a baking loaf with parchment paper, Set aside.
- Peel the banana, mash with a potato masher or a fork. It is ok if there is pieces of banana left.
- Place the mashed bananas into a large mixing bowl along with melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Stir to combine then add the flour gradually, stirring at the same time to avoid lumps. Stir in the shredded coconut at this time if you want to add a delicious coconut flavor.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Peel and slice the fresh banana lengthwise.
- Place the two slices of banana on top of the bread, pressing them slightly into the batter. This is optional but add a delicious moist texture to your banana bread.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Insert a skewer into the middle of the bread to test, if it comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then lift out the bread from the pan using the pieces of parchment paper to pull it out. Brush 2 tablespoon of maple syrup on top of your hot bread to add some sweetness and a shiny look
- Slice the bread into 12 slices once it has cooled to room temperature.
- Store at room temperature, wrapped in a clean towel up to 4 days.
- Freeze your banana bread slices into an airtight container and defrost at least 3 hour before. Rewarm in a toaster if desired.
- Coconut sugar can be replaced by brown sugar or erythritol to decrease the GI of the bread