This healthy vegan banana bread recipe is an easy banana bread recipe made with only a few wholesome ingredients. Plus, it is a refined-sugar-free and gluten-free recipe.
A simple oatmeal banana bread recipe
We all need a good vegan banana bread recipe! Banana bread is comfort food by excellence and everyone deserves a piece. This simple vegan banana bread is made with only a few wholesome ingredients all good for you. I’ll walk you through what you need to make it.
- Bananas, ripe bananas, the ugly ones with black spots on the skins. Prefer darker bananas that are will make your bread that much sweeter
- Oat flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour if you are gluten-free vegan
- Rolled oats – NOT quick/instant oats
- Almond flour
- Flax egg – stir the flax meal with water and let sit for 10 minutes before using the mixture as an egg binder
- Coconut sugar – it is my favorite unrefined crystal sugar. It adds a caramel flavor and golden brown color to baking. Also, the Glycemic Index of coconut sugar is lower than brown sugar and consequently, it releases a steady level of energy throughout the day.
- Extra virgin coconut oil or any vegetable oil you like
- Unsweetened almond milk or soy milk or oat milk – any plant-based milk will work well
- Lemon juice
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Vanilla essence
A healthy vegan banana bread
This is not only a simple vegan banana bread recipe but also a nourishing banana bread recipe full of fiber, protein, and minerals. Let me explain why! First, this recipe uses oat flour instead of white wheat which adds fiber. In fact, 100 grams of oat flour brings you 16 grams of fiber and 21 grams of proteins. Note that white wheat flour contains only 2.7 grams of fiber and 10 g protein. Fiber is very important for your body, it maintains healthy guts and a steady level of energy through the day.
Next, this banana bread recipe uses coconut sugar as a sweetener. Coconut sugar contains iron, zinc, and calcium and has a lower GI than white sugar. Finally, the recipe calls for coconut oil which has a high amount of lauric acid, a natural anti-fungal. So this egg-free banana bread is definitely your healthy option for breakfast or afternoon tea!
I hope you enjoyed this healthy vegan baking recipe! Don’t forget to Pin the recipe below to save it for later!
More vegan baking recipes
If you love baking, I recommend you also those delicious vegan baked goods
- Vegan berry muffins recipe – 1-bowl bakery-style berry muffin recipe
- Vegan sweet potato brownies – sweet fudgy brownies using healthy sweet potatoes and unrefined sugar
Watch the recipe video on our Youtube channel!
Don’t forget to share your creation with us on instagram !
Your friend, Carine
healthy vegan banana bread
- 3 Banana - large, ripe, with black spot on the skin
- 1/3 cup Almond milk - unsweetened or plant-based milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil - unrefined, melted
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 cup Oat flour - or spelt flour or gluten free all purpose
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats - – not quick oat
- 1/3 cup Almond flour - or more oat flour if nut free
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar - or unrefined cane sugar of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon Flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup Water - lukewarm
- 1 Banana - fresh – to decorate on the top
- 1/3 cup Walnuts - chopped or unsweetened shredded coconut if nut free
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Line a baking loaf 9 inches x 5 inches with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Peel the 3 ripe banana and mash with a potato masher or a fork. It is ok if there is pieces of banana left.
- Place the mashed bananas into a large mixing bowl along with unsweetened almond milk, melted coconut oil, lemon juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 40 seconds on medium speed until it form a consistent banana batter with almost no banana lumps. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine together oat flour, rolled oats (jumbo rolled oats not instant/quick oats), almond flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour the banana mixture onto the flours, chia egg and add the vanilla extract (if desired). Use the electric beater again to combine all the ingredients together. It shouldn't take more than 40 second on low speed to form a consistent banana bread batter.
- Add in chopped walnuts if desired and combine in the batter with a spoon.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- To decorate the top of the bread, peel and slice a fresh banana lengthwise.
- Place the two slices of banana on top of the bread, pressing them slightly into the batter. This is optional but add a delicious moist texture to your banana bread.
- Bake at 180°C (350°C) for 50-65 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center of the bread come out clean or few few crumbs.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then lift out the bread from the pan using the pieces of parchment paper. Brush 2 tablespoon of maple syrup on top of your hot bread if you want to add some sweetness and a shiny look.
- Cool the banana bread on a rack for at least 4 hours or overnight before slicing.
- Slice the bread into 12 slices once it has cooled to room temperature. Store at room temperature, wrapped in a clean towel or in a cake box for up to 4 days.
- Freeze your banana bread slices into an airtight container and defrost at least 3 hour before. Rewarm in a toaster if desired.
- Coconut sugar can be replaced by any cane sugar you like or brown sugar