An easy gluten free vegan bread recipe with no yeast or machine needed! Plus, this is a low carb keto bread recipe with only 2.2 g net carb per slice!
Are all gluten free bread vegan?
You will surprise to see that most gluten free bread recipe use eggs or milk. Also, while some brand does gluten free vegan brad recipe they tend to use high starchy flour that make the bread hard to digest and trigger carb cravings.
Gluten free vegan bread recipe – keto approved!
This gluten free vegan bread recipe is a delicious fulfilling low carb bread recipe using only nourishing low carb flours. It is a delicious dense bread similar to German wholegrain bread. So keep reading to check the ingredients you need to make this easy yeast free gluten free keto bread recipe.
- Almond flour – use fine blanched almond flour for best result
- Pumpkin flour -also known as pumpkin seed meal. If you can’t find this in your local supermarket you can order it online or simply make yours at home. Add 3 cup of pumpkin seeds into a blend and blend until a powder form, don’t over blend or it will turn into pumpkin butter.
- Coconut flour
- Ground psyllium husk – this is basically 100 % natural fiber. It is a crucial ingredient in this recipe to hold the low carb gluten free flour together. Don’t skip or replace
- Chia seeds – black or white whole chia seeds
- Apple cider vinegar – you can use any acid like lemon juice of vinegar of your choice. This helps activate the baking powder as the recipe doesn’t contains gluten
- Baking powder
Why this vegan bread recipe is good for you ?
Many people who start the vegan diet overeats carbs to feel full. Consequently, they miss on important nutrient from nuts and seeds. That is with this in mind that I created this bread. A delicious dense bread containing enough fiber and protein to feel full. Indeed, after only 2 slices you will fell satisfied and loads your body with important nutrients. In fact, did you know that one serve of pumpkin flour (30 grams) cover 23% of your iron RDI ? It also contains 7 g protein and only 3 g net carbs. This said, you now understand why this keto vegan bread is good for you
Calories and fat
You probably wonder if this vegan gluten free bread recipe is high in fat or calories. Of course, as it is a keto vegan bread it can be seen as high fat. Surprisingly, it contains only 117 kcal per slice and 7.8 g of fat. This is close to any regular wheat bread from the store! Also keep in mind that the fat in this keto bread recipe are the ‘good’ one. All the fat in this bread comes from nuts, seeds and olive oil. It means it brings all the powerful omega 3 and 6 you need.
How to eat your keto gluten free bread
This is a very dense bread, better toasted. I recommend slicing thinly, toast with minutes and spread peanut butter and raspberry chia seed jam on top. Otherwise use as a sandwich bread with mashed avocado and raw vegetables of your choice.
More vegan keto recipes
This blog is not only about vegan keto recipes but I like to share few of them as we are all keen to eat less carbs and the good ones. If you enjoy eating some vegan keto recipes from times to times this what I suggest you try too.
- No bake peanut butter cookies – a vegan keto melt in your mouth cookie with only 3 ingredients
- Vegan grain free granola – a delicious crunchy nut granola to pair with coconut milk
- Vegan avocado Popsicle – refresh with a delicious keto vegan avocado ice cream ready in 10 minutes
If you try this bread recipe don’t forget to share a picture with me on instagram !
Watch the vegan gluten free bread recipe and make it now !
Your friend, Carine
Vegan Gluten free bread recipe - Keto
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F) preferably on fan-bake mode.
- Line a loaf pan 9 inches x 5 inches with a piece of parchment paper. Slightly oil the paper to make sure the bread don't stick to the pan. Set aside.
- Measure carefully all the dry ingredients, weight them for precision as the flours are high in fiber and missing some result in wet bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together, it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.
- Stir in the liquid ingredients, make sure the water is lukewarm if too cold the flours won't activate as well and as fast. Think hot bath temperature, not boiling water around 40 C.
- Stir with a spatula at first, then knead the dough with yours hands for about 1-2 minutes until it comes together as a ball. The dough is slightly sticky, that normal but you should be able to form easily a ball of dough. If the dough stick a lot to your hands after 2 minute kneading the dough, it means you miss some husk. Adjust by sprinkling more husk, 1 teaspoon at a time, knead again 1 minute. You can also oil (or wet) your hands slightly to avoid the dough to stick to your fingers.
- Form a lovely round cylinder shape, don't flatten the top or the bread will be very dense. The bread won't raise or expand so shape the bread as you expect it to look when out of the oven.
- Wet your hands with water and massage the top of the bread to smoothed any cracks.
- Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top of the bread and slightly press to stick to the top of the bread.
- Bake for 50 minutes, adding a piece of foil on top of the loaf pan after 30 minutes to ensure that the bread cook perfectly inside and the top don't burn.
- After 50 minutes, insert a skewer in the middle of the bread, if it comes out clean or with few crumbs it is ready otherwise keep baking for 10 more minutes up to 70 minutes max. Check the baking every 10 minutes after 50 minutes.
- Cool on rack for 3 hours before slicing.
How to eat?
- This is a dense bread like German wholegrain bread, it can be a bit moist in the center and some people may prefer to toast each slices before eating.
- Use as a sandwich bread or toast for breakfast with your favorite spread like peanut butter and chia seed raspberry jam.
- Store up to 1 week in the pantry, wrap the bread in a clean kitchen towel and slice when needed to keep the loaf fresh.
- Freeze sliced in a airtight box or zip bags. Defrost in a toaster or at room temperature for 2 hours, then toast.