This Easy Avocado Ice Cream recipe is a delicious creamy mint ice cream recipe made from ripe avocado with dark chocolate chunks.
It’s a healthier twist to the classic Mexican avocado ice cream made with no refined sugar or dairy.
What’s Avocado Ice Cream?
Avocado ice cream is a classic Mexican no-churn dessert usually made from ripe avocados and condensed milk.
This avocado ice cream version is a healthier version of the classic dessert made healthier, using only wholesome natural ingredients that are
- Refined sugar-free
How To Make Avocado Ice Cream
It’s very easy to make avocado ice cream but there are a few tips and tricks you should know before starting.
- Ripe Avocado – it means a soft avocado but with a lovely green flesh and no dark spots.
- Lemon juice or lime juice. The best is to juice a fresh lemon or lime, but you can also use a pre-made lemon juice.
- Full-fat canned coconut cream – it must be full-fat or the ice cream will form crystals.
- Maple Syrup or any liquid sweetener you love like agave syrup, rice syrup, or date syrup.
- Vanilla Extract
- Pure Peppermint Extract
- Fresh mint leaves
- Chocolate Chunk or dark chocolate chips
Making The Ice Cream
First, in a food processor or high-speed blender add the ripe avocado flesh, lemon juice, full-fat canned coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract.
Blend the avocado ice cream batter until smooth and creamy.
Stop the food processor, remove the lid, and using a silicone spatula, stir in the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
Taste the ice cream and add more peppermint extract if you like your mint flavor stronger. Stir between each addition.
Freezing Ice Cream
There are 4 ways to freeze avocado ice cream.
1. Using An Ice Cream Maker
See the full method in the recipe card. This is the best way to avoid crystals in the ice cream mixture and make easy scoopable ice cream straight out of the freezer.
2. In Ice Cube Trays
No-churn ice cream gets very tough and hard after freezing overnight.
The easiest and fastest way to smoothen the ice cream is to place frozen ice cream cubes in a blender and blend them with a touch of almond milk to form a quick avocado soft serve.
For this method, don’t stir chocolate chunks in the ice cream batter before freezing.
3. Freezing In A Loaf Pan
The larger the container, the harder the no-churn ice cream becomes.
You will have to store the container for at least 20-30 minutes at room temperature to make it easier to scoop.
This is the best option if you plan to serve the whole batch of ice cream all at once.
4. Popsicle Molds
The last option is to freeze the avocado ice cream in popsicle molds to make avocado popsicles.
Tips For No-churn Ice Cream Without Condensed Milk Or Eggs
There are a few things you need to know before making healthier, vegan no-churn ice cream.
Since it doesn’t contain eggs or condensed milk, the ice cream will always:
- Form an icy crystal texture this is because the ice cream freezes without being churned.
- Take longer to soften – because of the lack of eggs or high-sugar condensed milk, healthier no-churn ice cream always takes longer to soften at room temperature.
However, the above issues can be fixed with a few simple tips.
- Avoid crystal icy texture in no-churn ice cream – adding spirits like a tablespoon of vodka or tequila or rum in no-churn ice cream prevents the ice cream from getting icy.
- Easy to scoop no-churn ice cream – freeze the ice cream batter without the chocolate chunks in plastic bags or ice cube trays. Then, before serving place the ice cubes or ice cream from the bag in a high-speed blender with a splash of almond milk and blend until a soft-serve texture forms. You can also freeze it into popsicles to make avocado popsicle ice cream that you can eat straight away from the freezer.
Ice Cream Maker Method
Of course, if you have an ice cream maker, go for it because the ice cream taste and texture will so much better and easier to scoop straight out from the freezer.
The day before, place the ice cream maker bowl in the freezer.
The next day, prepare the ice cream batter and pour it into the ice cream maker.
Churn for about 10-15 minutes or until the ice cream form.
Transfer to an ice cream container and freeze, sealed to keep fresh for up to 3 months
Avocado ice cream is creamy and smooth with a delicious mint flavor and sweet crunchy bites of dark chocolate chunks.
However, you can adapt this recipe to make a dark chocolate avocado ice cream by adding 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the mixture.
Coconut cream is the best option for making creamy dairy-free avocado ice cream.
However, if you are using an ice cream maker to churn ice cream, then canned coconut milk will work as well.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
If you like healthy desserts, you’ll love these recipes:
Did You Like This Recipe?
Avocado Ice Cream
Optional – to avoid no-churn ice cream to form crystal
- 1 tablespoon Vodka - or spirit of choice
- If using an ice cream maker, freeze the ice cream maker bowl the day before making this recipe.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, add avocado flesh, coconut cream, maple syrup, lemon juice, peppermint extract, and fresh mint.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste the batter and add more peppermint extract if desired, up to an extra 1/2 teaspoon. Blend between each addition.
- Stir in the chopped dark chocolate in the batter if you use the freezing method 2 or 3, otherwise, don't.
Freezing – 3 ways
- Way 1. No-churn ice cream to serve in small batches. Transfer to an ice cube tray and freeze it overnight. Before serving, pop out some frozen ice cream ice cubes into a high-speed blender with a splash of milk. Blend until a soft-serve texture forms. Stir in the chocolate chunk before serving.
- Way 2. Using an ice cream maker. Pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen ice cream maker bowl. Churn following manufacturer instructions, until ice cream forms. Eat immediately or transfer to a sealed container and freeze for later.
- Way 3. If you plan to serve the whole batch at once. Pour the ice cream batter into a large sealed 9-inch x 5-inch container or loaf pan. Freeze it overnight and keep it at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften before scooping.
- Store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions
This avocado ice cream is a healthier version of classic avocado ice cream using made from high-sugar condensed milk.
This recipe is full of healthy fat from avocado but on the other side, coconut cream is high in saturated fat too so overall it’s a better for you dessert, but still a dessert to serve as a treat.
Finally, you can reduce sugar and also make a keto avocado ice cream using a sugar-free liquid sweetener like Monk fruit.
Avocado Ice Cream tastes like your traditional ice cream. So much so that if you don’t tell your guests it’s made with avocado, I’m sure they won’t notice.