Healthy no-bake cornflakes cookies are easy crunchy sweet treats 100% refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan with no baking required!
Everyone loves chewy, sweet, and crunchy cornflakes cookies. They bring back childhood memories for me and my kids love this healthier version made with only 5 simple ingredients.
What are no-bake cornflake cookies?
The authentic no-bake cornflake cookie recipe is an easy cookie recipe made with sugar, peanut butter, cornflakes, and corn syrup. It’s not a healthy cookie recipe since it contains lots of added refined sugar and for most recipes, sweetened cornflakes cereals.
My recipe below is an adaptation of the classic cornflake cookie recipe, made healthier using 2 times less sugar by choosing the best healthy ingredients including unsweetened cereals, natural peanut butter and a refined sugar-free sweetener.
How to make no-bake cornflakes cookies?
All you need to make a healthy cornflake cookie recipe are 5 wholesome ingredients. Let me share with you how to choose them:
- Cornflakes – look for no-sugar-added cornflakes, some also have a boost of iron or vitamin B12. It’s the best choice if you are vegan as this treat will also bring you great nutrients.
- Maple syrup – or agave syrup these are the best-refined sugar-free sweetener for vegans.
- Peanut butter – choose natural peanut butter with no added sugar and no added vegetable oil. The ingredients listed should only be peanuts and eventually salt.
- Coconut oil – the secret ingredients in any healthy no-bake cookie recipe! Don’t replace by any other oil. Coconut oil firm up under 23C and it’s the ingredients that hold the cookie in shape plus add a chewy texture. If you don’t like coconut flavor, you can use refined coconut oil for this recipe, it has no coconut flavor but the same properties.
- Vanilla extract
How to make no-bake cornflakes cookies without sugar?
This is the easiest no-bake peanut butter cornflakes cookies ever! All you have to do is to combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and your cookie dough is ready to be used!
Combine the liquid ingredients
First, add all the liquid ingredients into a large saucepan: peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. Cook and stir constantly under medium heat until it forms a smooth peanut butter mixture. You can also use a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the ingredients for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until smooth.
Stir in dry ingredients
Remove from heat stir your gluten-free cornflakes. If you love chocolate cookies, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder at this stage, preferably unsweetened cocoa powder or the cookies will be too sweet.
Shape the cornflakes cookies
Before shaping the cookies, prepare a plate covered with a sheet of parchment paper. Then, use a tablespoon to scoop out the cookie batter and drop onto the plate. Don’t make bigger cookies or they won’t hold as well. One tablespoon of batter per cookie is what I found the best ratio.
Freezing the vegan cornflakes cookies
To set these cookies, you must freeze the plate on which you drop the cookie dough. The cold from the freezer solidify coconut oil and create crunchy cookies. Then, transfer the cookies in a sealed container and store in the freezer. Just pop out before serving to avoid them to melt too fast at room temperature.
Taste and storage
These healthy no-bake peanut butter cookies with cornflakes are refined-sugar-free cookies. It means they don’t use white sugar as the authentic cornflake cookie recipe. As a result, their texture is very soft, and they melt easily at room temperature.
That is why you must store these cookies in:
- fridge – for soft chewy cookies.
- freezer – eat them straight out the freezer for a crunchy cookie.
Are frosted flakes vegan?
Yes, most frosted flakes are vegan. Always double check the ingredient list, the packaging shouldn’t show more than two or three ingredients including :
- Added vitamins like B12
Note that for theses no bake cornflakes cookies it’s recommended to use unfrosted cornflakes to avoid the added sugar
More healthy no-bake cookies
If you love healthy no-bake cookies, I have plenty other recipes for you to try! They are all refined sugar free and made with less than 6 ingredients:
Made these cornflakes cookies? Share your feedback below, I love to read your comments on my recipes!
Your friend, Carine
Healthy no-bake cornflake cookies
- Before you start the recipe, note that these cookies must be stored in the freezer or they lose their crunch and soften in the fridge.
- Cover a large plate with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large saucepan, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, until all the ingredients are smooth and combined. Make sure to stir constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in cornflakes, until the cereals are fully covered by the peanut butter mixture.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the cookie batter onto the prepared plate, leaving half a thumb between each cookie as they can spread slightly.
- Freeze plate for about 10-12 minutes, to set the cookies.
- Store in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months and eat straight out the freezer for a crunchy cookie. For chewy cookies, store in the fridge. Don't store at room temperature or they will melt quickly under 23C.