These vegan chocolate shortbread cookies are easy, gluten-free chocolate cookies made with only 4 ingredients. If you are craving an healthy shortbread recipe keep reading!
Vegan chocolate shortbread
Who doesn’t love a chocolate shortbread cookie? Shortbread cookies are crumbly cookies usually made of butter and eggs. Here, I am sharing with you how to make delicious gluten-free vegan chocolate shortbread, meaning they are egg-free and dairy-free. All you need to make delicious chocolate cut-out cookies are 4 wholesome ingredients:
- Almond flour – use fine unblanched almond flour for best results. Almond meal is coarser and gives a gritty texture to cookies
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Maple syrup or brown rice syrup to decrease fructose and glycaemic index. Other liquid sweeteners that can be used are agave syrup or coconut nectar
- Melted coconut oil – if you don’t like the coconut flavor of coconut oil, use refined coconut oil, it has no coconut taste
How to make the vegan chocolate cut-out cookies?
This is an easy vegan chocolate shortbread recipe. In fact, there is no special tool needed to make this recipe, it is simple 1-bowl cookie recipe. However, there are a few tricks to make those cut-out cookies beautiful everytime!
- Refrigerate the dough 20 minutes – this will firm up the dough and it will be easier to roll
- Roll between pieces of parchment paper – this is a gluten-free shortbread cookie recipe. Therefore the cookie dough is much stickier than regular shortbread recipes made of wheat flour. That is why you need to roll out the dough between piece of parchment paper or 2 silicon mats.
- Grease the borders of the cookie cutter – this prevent the dough from sticking to the cookie cutter. This tip is actually great for any cut out cookie recipe!
- Use a flat tool to transfer cookies to baking sheet. Slide a flat spatula or a knife under the cut out cookies to gently transfer them to the baking sheet. This is the best way to avoid breaking them.
How to decorate those gluten-free chocolate cookies?
Those gluten free chocolate cookies are delicious on their own but even better decorated. The best cookie decoaration are:
- Melted vegan dark chocolate – combine 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, melt and spread on top!
- Sprinkles – most sprinkles are vegan and gluten-free, I recommend those rainbow sprinkles here (Amazon affiliate link)
- Freeze dried raspberries
- Royal icing – combine 1 cup of icing sugar with 2 – 3 tablespoons of almond milk
More vegan shortbread cookie recipe
If you love easy vegan shortbread cookies recipe I recommend you try our 3-ingredient shortbread recipes below:
Made those lovely cut-out cookies yet? Share a picture with me on Instagram!
Your friend, Carine
Vegan chocolate shortbread cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medum-size mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Make a well in the center and pour in melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Combine with a spatula until it forms a consistent chocolate cookie batter. The batter should hold together well, form a cookie dough ball, be shiny and slightly oily.
- Place the cookie ough ball into the mixing bowl and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- Press the top layer of parchment paper with your palm to stick to the dough and flatten the dough as a thick disc.
- Start rolling dough until it reaches your favorite shortbread thickness. I recommend a 5 mm (0.2 inches) thickness for best texture. The thinner you get, the crispier they will be.
- Peel off the top parchment paper sheet, cut out dough with a cookie cutter then slide a flat tool under each cookie to lift them off the paper and transfer to the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 180C for 10 minutes. The cookies should be soft when out of the oven. Cool 4 minutes on the cookie sheet then gently transfer each cookie to a cooling rack. Use the same technique as before, sliding a flat tool (spatula/knife) under each cookie to gently transfer from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- Cool for 10 more minutes or until it reaches room temperature before decorating.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocoalte chips with coconut oil, stirring constantly.
- Use a teaspoon to drizle chocolate on top of each cookies.
- Add a pinch of sea salt or rainbow sprinkles on top if desired.
- Freeze the decorated cookies 3 minutes to quickly set the chocolate shell.
- Store the cookies up to 1 week at room temperature in a cookie jar. If it is hot where you live, store in the fridge to prevent the chocolate decoration from melingt.
- You can freeze the cookies in silicon bags and defrost the day before on a plate.