This healthy rocky road slice is a delicious chocolate bar filled with nourishing nuts, dried cranberries, and homemade popcorn. A healthy twist to the favorite rocky road candy bars, 100% vegan and gluten-free.
What are rocky road bars?
Rocky road bars are crunchy thick chocolate bars filled with peanuts and chewy pieces of marshmallows. Rocky road bars are very popular in Australia and New Zealand, while in the US, rocky road is generally sold as ice cream.
The origin of these delicious bars is believed to be a way for bakers and sweet shops to sell confectionery spoiled in the long trip from Europe to Australia. Coating it in chocolate and mixing it with fresh nuts was covering the taste of the spoiled cherries!
To see this recipe from a different perspective, watch my web story: making the vegan rocky road!
How to make a healthy rocky road slice recipe?
Healthy vegan rocky road slices are made of nourishing, wholesome ingredients and homemade chocolate. They don’t contain marshmallows but instead use chewy cereals and dried fruits.
They are vegan, gluten-free, and made with simple staple ingredients. Let see what you need to make a healthy rocky road slice at home.
- Coconut oil or half coconut oil/half cocoa butter – while cocoa butter is expensive, makes the best tasty homemade vegan chocolate. Also, refined coconut oil is the best here to avoid coconut flavor in your chocolate.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Peanut butter or almond butter for healthy fat.
- Vanilla extract
- Popcorn – it’s a natural way to add a chewy texture to the bars without using store-bought marshmallows.
- Dried cranberries or dates pieces – they add natural sweetness and extra chewy texture.
- Nuts – use any nuts you like, but roasted almonds and macadamia nuts bring out the best flavor.
A healthy vegan treat to snack on!
If you crave chocolate bars, this rocky road bar recipe is a great way to fix it.
It tastes like chocolate fudge with crunchy and fudgy filling. Plus, it’s a very fulfilling snack that brings you healthy plant-based proteins from nuts and cereals – especially if you are using puffed quinoa or amaranth.
You can also make plenty of healthy additions to these rocky road slices like hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, or chia seeds – customize them to your taste!
More no-bake vegan desserts bars
If you love an easy vegan dessert bar, I recommend you also try:
Made this vegan rocky road bar recipe yet? Share a picture with me on Instagram,
Your friend, Carine
Healthy Rocky Road Bars
Vegan Dark chocolate recipe
- Line a 9-inch x 6-inch tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, under low heat, melt the coconut oil with maple syrup, vanilla, and peanut butter. When the mixture is smooth, stir in the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Remove from heat and stir in all the filling ingredients. You can add more popcorn or puffed cereals, depending on your taste. Popcorn is bigger than puffed cereals, so you usually need less of it.
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared pan
- Freeze 10 minutes or until the chocolate is set.
- Cut into 16 bars and store in the fridge for up to 5 days, in an airtight container.