This Matcha Avocado Smoothie is a creamy, thick green smoothie for green tea lovers. Loaded with healthy omega-3 from the avocado and antioxidants from the Matcha powder, this is the perfect healthy green smoothie to start the day!
Matcha powder is a source of powerful antioxidants and caffeine and a great swap to morning coffee.
If you don’t feel like a warm Matcha latte this morning, try this easy Matcha smoothie instead. It’s packed with all the healthy protein, fat, and vitamins you need to start with energy.
How to Make a Matcha Avocado Smoothie Recipe?
All you need to make this healthy Matcha powder smoothie recipe are a few simple ingredients.
- Matcha powder – use a high-quality green tea powder for the best flavor.
- Banana – a yellow banana, not overripe.
- Avocado – use a ripe avocado with no black spots on the flesh. If your avocado shows black spots, it’s overripe, and it will add a bitter flavor to your drink.
- Unsweetened almond milk – or any plant-based milk you love.
- Ice cubes – this adds a frothy, thick creamy texture to this banana Matcha smoothie. Another option is to use frozen bananas in this recipe so you won’t need ice cubes.
- Sweetener – this is optional, but if you have a sweet tooth, you can add a few teaspoons of maple syrup or a few stevia drops to boost the sweetness of your drink.
Next, add all the ingredients to the blender, starting with almond milk to make it easier to blend. Blend on high speed until creamy and smooth.
Taste and adjust
We all have different tastes, and it’s even more true when it comes to Matcha powder. Some people love a strong Matcha flavor in their drink, while others like it light and subtle. This is the same with sweetness and frothy texture.
That’s why I always recommend trying your Matcha banana smoothie before serving. So if it is not sweet, frothy, or flavorsome enough, you have time to adjust, blend again before serving.
You can serve this avocado Matcha smoothie with a dollop of my whipped coconut cream recipe, a drizzle of melted chocolate, and extra dust of Matcha powder.
Matcha, coconut, and chocolate are made to go together, and your smoothie will taste like a real treat, similar to ice cream!
How to make smoothies thicker?
Below I listed several tips to increase the creamy thick texture of this simple Matcha smoothie recipe.
- Frozen fruits – this recipe calls for a banana, so swap this with frozen banana slices. The day before making the recipe, peel, slice the bananas and freeze them in an airtight container. Use the frozen banana slices in the smoothie the next day.
- Frozen cauliflower rice – yes, you are reading well. This a healthy option to add a creamy texture to smoothies and a boost of vegetables too. Swap the ice cubes with frozen cauliflower rice. If you are on a vegan keto diet, it is a great option to replace bananas in smoothies and still maintain a creamy thick texture. You will be surprised by how good it tastes.
- Cashews – add few raw cashews in the blender for a wonderful flavor and extra creamy texture.
- Dates – this changes the color of the green smoothie to brownish color, but it adds a delicious sweet flavor and thick texture to smoothies.
Can I store my smoothie?
This smoothie doesn’t store well in the fridge because it contains avocado. In fact, avocado turns to a brownish color with time and develops a bitter flavor.
However, you can freeze your smoothie into popsicle mold and make delicious Matcha avocado popsicles like my avocado popsicle recipe here.
More vegan smoothie recipes
I love to create dairy-free smoothie recipes, I listed below my favorites others recipes for you to try:
More Matcha Recipes
Have you made this avocado Matcha green tea smoothie? What about pairing this with my Healthy Matcha Cookie recipe and share a review or comment below. I love to hear your feedback on my recipes.
Avocado Matcha Smoothie
- In a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients in the order listed above, starting with 1 teaspoon of Matcha and adjust to taste.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Taste it and adjust, adding a pinch more Matcha powder, sweetener, or a few ice cubes for a frothier texture. Blend again to combine and serve immediately.