Vegan buckwheat pancakes are healthy vegan gluten free pancakes made of buckwheat flour.
What’s buckwheat ?
Buckwheat is a gluten free seed that can be used as whole (known as buckwheat groats) or flour. Buckwheat flour has a hearty flavor, it is high in fiber and therefore lower in carbs than others regular flour. Therefore, buckwheat is good to stabilize or reduce blood sugar level.
How to make vegan buckwheat pancakes?
Buckwheat pancakes are very easy to make with only few wholesome ingredients:
- Buckweat flour – the color of buckwheat flour vary from brands to brands. It tends to be darker in Europe (e.g France has a darker buckwheat flour called ‘farine de ble noir’) and it is lighter in US or New Zealand/Australia. Whatever the color of your flour is, the result will be the same, a delicious buckwheat pancake.
- Baking soda and baking powder – this recipe has no gluten and the combo of leaving agents is the trick to make fluffy vegan gluten free pancakes
- Apple cider vinegar – activate the leaving agents and create a vegan buttermilk when combined with plant-based milk
- Unsweetened almond milk or water – you can use thicker plant based milk too, e.g soy milk. But note that the pancakes will be heavier if you swap almond milk for soy milk.
- Liquid sweetener – I love to use unrefined sugar so the best liquid sweetener are brown rice syrup, agave syrup, coconut syrup, maple syrup
- Coconut oil or any oil you like, almond oil or avocado oil are healthy option. You can substitute oil by apple sauce, for an oil free vegan pancake recipe. Note that this will make the pancakes will be a bit more dense
Vegan pancakes toppings ideas
The best vegan pancakes toppings for those buckweat pancakes are:
- Liquid sweetener – healthy options are unrefined sweetener like pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup, apple syrup or coconut syrup
- Nut butter – almond butter, cashew buter, peant butter
- Fruits – low carb fruits like raspberries, blueberries or strwaberries are delicicoys.Otherwise use banana slices, peach or apple sauce
- Others – a pinch of dessicated coconut or sliced almonds on top of the pancake is delicious to ad crunch an nutrients
More vegan gluten free breakfast
If you need more inspiration on vegan gluten free breakfast recipes, check out those other breakfast recipe below!
- Chickpea flour pancakes – a 4 ingredients protein pancake recipe using chickpea flour
- Grain free granola – homemade grain free granola recipe
Made the buckwheat flour pancakes ? Share a picture of your creation with me on instagram!
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together unsweetened almond milk, vinegar, syrup, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients: buckwheat flour, baking soda, baking powder. Make a well in the center and pour the liquid ingredients in the middle.
- Whisk until it forms a smooth, slightly thick batter with no lumps.
- Warm a pancake griddle under medium heat with a little olive oil or coconut oil.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the warm oiled griddle, use the back of a spoon if needed to spread batter into a lovely round shape pancake.
- Cook until bubbles forms on top and sides are set and dry - about 2 minutes, then slide a spatula under the pancake and flip on the over side. Cook for an extra 30 seconds on this side.
- Serve immediately or cool on a rack while you are cooking the rest of the batter. You should be able to make 11 pancakes.
- Serve with toppings of your choice like : maple syrup, brown rice syrup, almond butter, dairy free coconut yoghurt, berries, banana slices etc.
- Store the cooked pancakes up to 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze in zip slicon bags. Defrost at room temperature the day before. You can rewarm the pancakes in a toaster