These 4-ingredient chickpea flour pancakes are sweet, vegan and oil free and are the most delicious protein pancakes to start the day. Plus, they are also grain-free and gluten-free.
What are chickpea flour pancakes?
Chickpea flour pancakes are egg-free pancakes made of chickpea flour also known as besan flour. Bonus, this is a 4-ingredient protein pancake recipe with 3 grams of plant-based protein per pancake.
A 4-ingredient oil-free recipe
You don’t need more than 4 ingredients to make these chickpea flour pancakes sweet and delicious! Let’s see what you need.
- Chickpea flour also known as besan flour. Make sure your flour has no lumps or if so, break them with a fork before measuring the flour for full precision.
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk – it’s great to use vanilla almond milk to add a delicious vanilla flavor to you pancakes. Chickpea flour can be slightly bitter and vanilla is a great way to cover the bitterness of the flour.
- Baking soda or baking powder if you don’t like the flavor of baking soda.
- Unrefined sugar – there are many options, I love coconut sugar or sugar-free erythritol. You must add a sweetener in your batter to balance the natural bitterness of chickpea flour.
How to cook your chickpea flour pancakes?
First, make sure you use a crepe pan or non-stick pancake griddle for perfect cooking. Next, cook on medium heat not high heat to avoid burning the pancakes. Finally, don’t overdo the oil! Cook with a little oil or no oil if your pan is a non-stick pan. Adding too much oil fries your pancakes and it’s not what you want.
Fluffy vegan pancake topping ideas
These are the most fluffy vegan gluten free pancakes you’ll find, with a delicious sweet flavor. My kids love them any time, even cold in their lunchbox.
The best vegan pancakes toppings for your pancakes are:
- Healthy unrefined liquid sweetener like maple syrup, brown rice, agave syrup, apple syrup or coconut syrup.
- Chopped bananas, fresh apricot, apple slices.
- Fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.
- Slices almonds, shredded coconut, vegan chocolate chips.
If you love grain free vegan breakfast recipe I recommend you check my following recipe. And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Enjoy the recipe and leave me a comment if you liked it !
Your friend, Carine
Chickpea flour pancakes
- 1 cup Chickpea flour – known as besan flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda – or 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Unrefined sugar – – coconut sugar or sugar free erythritol/Monk fruit
- 10 tablespoons Almond milk – vanilla, unsweetened or plant milk of your choice
- In a mixing bowl, whisk chickpea flour, baking soda, unrefined sugar and unsweetened almond milk. Chickpea flour makes lumps easily, to avoid that whisk vigorously until no more left. It's OK to have few lumps but the less the better it tastes!
- Warm a non-stick crepe pan or non-stick pancake griddle under medium heat. Slightly grease the pan with vegetable oil, about 1/2 teaspoon. I suggest rubbing a piece of oiled absorbent paper on the pan to avoid too much oil. Adding too much oil will fry your pancakes and it is not what you want.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of batter per pancake, depending on the size you like them.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on one sides or until the sides are half set, bubbles forms in the center and it is easily to flip without breaking.
- Slide a spatula under the pancake and flip over. Cook 1 more minute on the over side or until the center is set and the pancake is fluffy.
- Cool on a rack and repeat until no more batter left. You should be able to make 8 medium size pancakes from this batter.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, banana slices and fresh blueberries.
- You can add 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips or fresh blueberries in the batter before cooking.
- You can freeze the cooked pancakes in a zip bag or airtight container. Make sure they don’t overlap, it make it easier to defrost one-by-one. Defrost 3-4 hours or overnight at room temperature. Rewarm in a pancake griddle or toast few minutes in a toaster.
- You can make the batter ahead and cook your pancakes the day in the morning