The Chocolate crazy cake is an easy chocolate cake made without eggs, milk, butter or bowl! It’s the easiest vegan chocolate cake with a moist texture and a sweet chocolate ganache.
What’s a crazy cake?
Crazy cakes or wacky cakes are easy cake recipes that make use of only basic pantry ingredients. Also known as depression cake recipes, this was first created during World War II when eggs and milk where scarce. Nowadays, crazy cakes are popular on the vegan diet and busy days to fix a quick cake craving with very simple ingredients and minimal dishwashing!
How to make chocolate crazy cakes?
A chocolate crazy cake is a no-fuss chocolate cake that uses only simple pantry ingredients. I will explain below the ingredients you need and how you can substitute them to make a healthier chocolate crazy cake.
In fact, there are plenty of options to make this simple recipe gluten-free, sugar-free or even oil-free!
- Flour – the original crazy cake recipe uses white flour. I personally recommend unbleached white flour or spelt flour, simply because they are more nourishing. Also, the recipe works very well with all purpose gluten-free flour too. Other healthier flour options are spelt flour or oat flour. However, if you are using oat flour then the texture will be less moist and you will have to use sugar to keep the texture right. Xylitol or erythritol won’t work with oat flour.
- Sugar – white sugar will work very well but I recommend unrefined cane sugar or a sugar-free crystal sweetener like erythritol or xylitol to make the cake sugar-free.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – sweetened cocoa powder will work but the cake will be overly sweet so it’s not recommended
- Baking soda – or double the amount if you want to use baking powder
- Oil – melted coconut oil or avocado oil are my suggestions but any light-flavored oil work here. For an oil-free option, replace oil by same amount of apple sauce.
- Vinegar – apple cider vinegar is my healthy choice but any vinegar or lemon juice would work too.
No-fuss easy vegan chocolate cake from scratch – no bowl needed!
There’s always a day when you crave a delicious moist chocolate cake but you don’t feel like spending hours washing the dishes or baking. So this chocolate crazy cake is very handy for those days. It’s a no-bowl recipe since you can simply mix all the ingredients directly into the baking dish!
There are two baking dish option for this recipe, depending on what you want, serving the cake in the pan or unmolding the cake and serving it on a serving plate.
- Ceramic/glass baking pan – this is the best option if you want to serve the cake directly from the pan.
- Regular cake pan – in this case, I like to lay a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan. To prevent the piece of paper from moving, I grease it with oil on both side. This way, it perfectly adheres to the pan and the batter doesn’t leak under the paper when you beat the batter into the pan. This pan is great if you want to unmold the cake and serve it on a cake stand or plate.
Can I make the cake recipe gluten-free or oil-free?
Yes, you can replace the flour with all-purpose gluten-free flour to make an easy vegan gluten-free chocolate cake. Also, applesauce is a great oil-free option in this recipe. The cake texture will be different but the flavor will still be delicious.
More vegan baking recipes
You may also want to try these easy vegan recipes:
- Vegan berry muffins – delicious with fresh or frozen berries of your choice
- Vegan banana bread
- Gluten-free pumpkin bread with no eggs, no dairy or butter
Don’t forget to share a picture of your lovely cake on Instagram! I love to see your creations.
Your friend, Carine
Crazy chocolate cake
- 1 1/2 cup All purpose white flour - see note for healthier/gluten free options
- 3/4 cup Sugar - see note for sugar free/unrefined options
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar - or white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil - melted, or any light vegetable oil
- 1 cup Water - at room temperature
Dairy-free chocolate ganache
- 3.5 oz Dark chocolate chips - or dark chocolate pieces (70-85% cocoa)
- 1/3 cup Coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 9 inches x 9 inches square cake pan with oil. Glass or ceramic pan work the best.
- Directly in the cake pan (no bowl needed for this recipe), add the flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- Make 2 wells in the dry ingredients and add the vinegar in one of the wells and the oil in the other well.
- Pour the water, at room temperature, over the ingredients and whisk to form a batter with no lump. Careful, don't use boiling water or the cake will be very chewy. Very cold water may create lumps, especially with gluten-free all purpose flour.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the cake come out clean.
- Cool down to room temperature before frosting. If you used a glass/ceramic pan, cool the cake in the pan, no need to unmold. Otherwise unmold after 10 minutes and cool down on a rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the chocolate ganache
- Combine the melted chocolate with coconut cream
- Heat the coconut milk or cream in a small pan (you can also use your microwave), then pour over the dark chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate ithe ganache is smooth and shiny.
- Spread all over the cake before serving