This fluffy vegan pancake recipe is a super simple vegan pancake recipe for breakfast. They taste like regular pancakes using only 8 ingredients.
We are all looking for the perfect vegan pancake recipe. One that tastes like regular pancakes without the hassle of making flax egg or the strong banana aftertaste of most vegan banana pancake recipes.
Here I am sharing with you the perfect vegan pancake recipe: easy, super fluffy, golden, and delicious with a drizzle of pure maple syrup!
How to make the fluffiest pancakes?
The secret to making fluffy vegan pancakes is to combine the dry ingredients with vegan buttermilk and baking powder.
Vegan buttermilk is obtained when curdling non-dairy milk with an acidic ingredient. It usually takes only 10 minutes for the milk to curdle and thicken. This mixture, when in contact with baking powder, creates the fluffiest pancakes ever! Bonus, making your own vegan buttermilk takes only a few minutes and requires only 2 ingredients:
- Non-dairy milk – it can be soy milk, coconut milk, or almond milk. However, soy milk is higher in fat and provides the best pancake texture, similar to regular pancakes. Note that non-dairy milk must be at room temperature to create the best buttermilk texture.
- Acidic ingredient – it can be apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
Vegan homemade pancake recipe
The first step to making this fluffy vegan pancake recipe is to prepare the vegan buttermilk, as I mentioned before. Then, combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. You will need:
- All-purpose flour – wheat flour gives the best fluffy pancakes with this recipe. You cannot use almond flour, oat flour, or coconut flour to substitute for wheat flour in this recipe. Other options are whole-wheat flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour blends. However, these options make the pancakes heavier and not as fluffy.
- Baking powder or half the amount of baking soda. Watch out, If you are using baking soda, it can add a strong bitter aftertaste to the pancakes.
- Sugar – you can use coconut sugar or erythritol for a healthy vegan pancake option.
The last step consists of bringing together the dry ingredients with vegan buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk the ingredients together to avoid lumps and form a thick pancake batter.
How to cook pancakes?
The best way to cook pancakes is to use a non-stick pancake griddle or frying pan. First, heat the pan under medium heat. Then, oil the surface with vegetable oil or any oil like coconut oil or avocado oil.
Finally, scoop out the pancake batter into the heated pan. It is recommended to scoop the pancake batter using a measuring cup to make pancakes of similar sizes. As a general rule, 1/3 cup of pancake batter gives you the ideal size.
For a different perspective, watch my Web Story: making fluffy vegan pancakes!
Healthy vegan pancake toppings
The best way to serve this fluffy vegan pancake recipe is to add some healthy toppings like:
- Fresh fruits – a handful of sliced bananas, blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries.
- Nut butter – add a drizzle of one of the following on top of your pancake stack: peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
- Sweetener – the best are pure maple syrup, rice syrup, or agave syrup.
- Other ideas are vegan butter, chocolate chips, seeds, or nuts.
Vegan pancake batter add-ons
You can tweak this recipe by adding some add-ons to the pancake batter :
- Vegan chocolate chip – scoop out the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chocolate chip on top of the pancake.
- 1/2 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen, add them directly into the pancake batter. This option creates the most delicious vegan blueberry pancakes.
- Mashed banana – you can replace the vegetable oil in this recipe with mashed bananas. It will give a light banana flavor to the pancakes and makes the recipe oil-free.
How to store vegan pancakes?
All vegan recipes are, by essence, egg-free and dairy-free, and therefore they store very well out of the fridge, at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
This super simple vegan pancake recipe can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge or frozen in silicone ziplock bags.
More breakfast vegan recipes
You may also want to try one of the vegan recipes below for breakfast!
Made this vegan pancake recipe? Share a picture with me on Instagram!
Your friend, Carine
Fluffy Vegan Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup Soy Milk - or unsweetened almond milk - at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar - or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Raspberries
Prepare the vegan 'buttermilk'
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk soy milk with apple cider vinegar. You can use any plant-based milk, but the pancakes are fluffier with soy milk. Set aside 10 minutes. Note: in the video, the oil is added in the buttermilk step. It is up to you. You can also add it in the next step.
Prepare the pancake batter
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in the vegan buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes while you heat the griddle.
Cooking the vegan pancakes
- Heat a large pancake griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and swirl the pan to coat.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of pancake batter per pancake - don't cook more than 2 pancakes at a time to prevent them from spreading and sticking to each other. Cook on one side until bubbles form on the surface and the edges dry out and look set - it should take 2 or 3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook on the other side for another 2 or 3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack or plate and repeat these steps until you run out of batter.
Vegan Servings ideas
- You can serve vegan pancakes with liquid sweeteners like rice syrup, maple syrup, or agave syrup. Other tasty toppings are jam, fresh fruits, whipped coconut cream, or vegan yogurt.