VEGAN BLUEBERRY SCONES
4.87 - 79 votes
▢ 2 cups all-purpose flour ▢ 1 tablespoon Corn starch ▢ 1/2 teaspoon Salt ▢ 1/2 cup Caster sugar ▢ 1 tablespoon Baking powder ▢ 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon ▢ 8 tablespoons Cold vegan Butter ▢ 1/2 cup Soy milk ▢ 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract ▢ 1 cup Fresh blueberries To brush on top ▢ 2 tablespoon Soy milk
– Sift the flour in a large mixing bowl. – Whisk in cornstarch, salt, caster sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon
Add in the cold vegan butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or 2 forks, or your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it forms a pea-size crumble.
Add Soymilk and Berries
– Drizzle the soy milk and vanilla extract over the flour mixture and then mix in with a spoon until a rough dough forms. – Add frozen or fresh blueberries and gently knead in the dough.
Work the Dough
– Pour the dough onto a floured kitchen counter, and work with floured hands. – The dough will be sticky, if it's too sticky add a little more flour on top. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 more tablespoons of soy milk.
Slice the Dough
Place the dough onto a large floured piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle flour on top of the dough and press into an 8-inch disc and with a sharp knife divide into 8 wedges.
– Slide the piece of parchment paper with the disc of scones on a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes. – Meanwhile preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
Prepare Scones for Baking
– After refrigerating, separate each scone and place them 2-3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. – Brush the top of the scones with 1-2 tablespoons of soy milk and sprinkle coarse cane sugar on top (optional).
Bake the Scones
– Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are dry and hard. – Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transfer to the cooling rack
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 1 Scone Makes: 8 Scones Calories: 282 kcal per scone