This vegan creamy mushroom pasta recipe is an easy and comforting vegan dinner ready in only 20 minutes. All the decadence of creamy pasta without dairy!
Who needs a big bowl of pasta? There are times when nothing other than a decadent creamy pasta bowl will do. Plus, I feel like we haven’t share enough cashew cream recipes on the blog. If you are unfamiliar with cashew pasta sauce, let me tell you, it is the most simple and delicious creamy vegan sauce for many dishes.
Vegan creamy mushroom pasta
This is comfort food at its best. A creamy vegan pasta bowl with stir fried garlic mushrooms and cashew cream sauce. Pasta, mushrooms, cashew cream and garlic, that is a winning combo! The really important word to say about this recipe, is easy! In fact, this recipe is ready in only 20 minutes using less than 10 ingredients:
- Mushrooms – a great vegetable or vegan protein source
- Olive oil
- Vegan butter – optional
- Pasta – any shape, I recommend using those healthy pasta options: chickpea pasta, buckwheat pasta, edamame pasta or wholewheat pasta (or brown rice pasta if gluten free)
- Vegetable stock
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Nutritional yeast
- Cashews – soaked overnight
- Lemon juice
How to make cashew pasta sauce?
Cashew pasta sauce is an easy vegan pasta sauce using only 3 main ingredients.
- Soaked cashews – the trick is to soak the cashews at least 12 hours into cold water or 1 hour into boiling water. Soaked cashews become really soft and can easily blend into a thick cream when combined with liquids. That is how you do a good cashew pasta sauce
- Liquid – can be vegetable stock, almond milk or a combo of both as used in this recipe
- Spices – nutritional yeast is great to add a cheesy flavor to your vegan creamy pasta sauce. Other great spices to add are garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, cumin or turmeric
The best ratio of soaked cashews/liquid to create a creamy vegan pasta sauce is 1 cup of liquid for 1 1/2 cup of soaked cashews. Then, depending on how creamy you like your pasta you can reduce liquid to 3/4 cup or increase and simmer the pasta into the sauce to thicken.
Vegan creamy pasta serving suggestion
Vegan creamy pasta recipes with cashew cream are the best! Those creamy mushroom pasta taste like your classic favorite mushroom pasta except you replace the regular dairy with cashew cream. The best toppings to serve your vegan mushroom pasta are:
- Chopped italian parsley
- Toasted pine nuts
- Vegan parmesan
Also, this recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze! Simply defrost the pasta the day before and rewarm over medium heat in a saucepan. If the sauce thickened to much in the fridge, I recommend adding a splash of vegetable stock or water into the saucepan to lightened up the sauce.
More vegan pasta recipes
If you love the creamy texture of cashew cream, you will also love my red lentil pasta recipe below
Don’t forget to share a picture of your creamy pasta bowl with me on Instagram! I love to see how your reproduce my recipes in your kitchen.
Your friend, Carine
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Cashew pasta cream sauce
Cashew pasta cream sauce
- In a blender, add all the cashew pasta cream sauce ingredients. The order doesn't matter: soaked/drained cashews, unsweetened almond milk, paprika, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt.
- Blend on high speed until the cashews turn creamy, smooth with no lumps. If there are lumps in your sauce, it may be because you didn't soak the nuts long enough or that your blender doesn't have the power to turn the cashews into a smooth sauce. That's ok. The sauce will still be delicious, slightly less smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, warm olive oil under medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms, dried parsley, and stir fry for 5 minutes, until mushrooms release their water and reduce size.
- Stir-in vegan butter and minced garlic.
- When the vegan butter is melted, pour the vegetable stock, cashew pasta cream sauce, and cooked pasta.
- Stir to combine, cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes until the pasta is warm to serve.
- Taste sauce and adjust salt and pepper before serving.
- Serve with fresh Italian parsley, toasted pine nuts, or vegan Parmesan.
- Store in airtight containers in the fridge for 3 days or freeze. Defrost in the fridge the day before.
- Rewarm on medium heat in a saucepan. If the sauce has thickened in the fridge, add a splash of water or vegetable stock to lighten up.