An easy Lentil Taco Recipe made with lentil cauliflower meat for a delicious healthy vegan taco night packed with plant-based proteins. Bonus, this lentil taco recipe also contains a recipe of vegan, gluten-free tortillas!
What are lentil tacos?
Lentil tacos are meat-free tacos filled with a lentil taco meat replacement. They are naturally vegan, gluten-free, and a healthy plant-based protein meal for anyone looking to decrease meat consumption or start a vegan diet.
How to make lentil tacos?
To make a healthy lentil taco recipe, you need:
Step 1: cook the lentil taco meat recipe
Lentil taco meat is a healthy vegan meat replacement made of canned brown lentils. Follow my lentil cauliflower taco meat recipe to make your own in less than 15 minutes.
It’s the easiest recipe made with only a few simple ingredients. All you need is a large skillet, a drizzle of olive oil, taco seasoning, tomato paste vegetable broth, and canned brown lentils.
It takes a few minutes to cook the lentil taco meat until the lentils are as tender and flavorsome as ground beef.
Step 2: choose your flatbread
Of course, you can use store-bought tortillas, most of them are accidentally vegan, and it’s easy to find vegan, gluten-free tortillas as well.
But, if you feel like making some fresh homemade tortillas, you can also follow some of my vegan, gluten-free tortillas recipe below:
- Coconut flour tortillas – a vegan, low-carb tortilla recipe made with gluten-free coconut flour.
- Paleo tortillas – a vegan almond flour tortilla recipe 100% grain-free.
- Red lentil tortillas – if you love lentils that much, marry the lentil taco meat with an easy 2-ingredient red lentil flatbread!
Step 3: choose between tacos, burritos, or quesadillas
Now, you have three options.
- Tortillas – warm your tortillas on a warm skillet and fill with warm lentil taco meat and some of the filling listed below.
- Burritos – preheat oven to 180 C(350fF). Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup of lentil taco meat, wrap it into a burrito shape, place it in a large baking sheet and repeat until the dish is full. Sprinkle vegan cheese on top and bake until the cheese is grilled and melted.
- Quesadillas – place one tortilla in a skillet, spread 1/4 cup of lentil taco meat, sprinkle vegan cheese and place another tortilla on top. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until the tortillas are crispy.
Step 4: serve with toppings
Whether you made a vegan taco, burrito, or quesadillas, adding some fresh, crunchy topping on top of your warm meal is a must!
I listed below some of the best vegan taco toppings you can add:
- Red onion – diced finely.
- Avocado – ripe, cubed, or mashed and flavored with a teaspoon of lime juice.
- Coconut yogurt – this works as a dairy-free sour cream replacement. Of course, you can also use vegan sour cream from the grocery store, but coconut yogurt is a much healthier substitute for sour cream. It’s only made from 2 ingredients, coconut cream, and probiotics.
- Hot sauce – optional, for those who love spicy tacos.
- Fresh cilantro
- Corn kernel
- Salsa sauce
- Shredded red cabbage
- Jalapeno slices
- Bell pepper – diced bell pepper of any color – red, yellow, or orange.
Can I make ahead this lentil taco recipe?
You can make ahead the lentil taco meat and store it in the fridge. Then, rewarm the cauliflower lentil tacos meat in the microwave or a warm skillet – the cooking time varies, but usually, 2-3 minutes are enough.
Finally, add in a warm taco shell or tortillas. Spread a single layer of lentil meat, then add some of the fresh crunchy toppings recommended above.
More vegan meal recipes
Below I listed some more healthy vegan dinner recipe inspiration for you to try:
Have you made these vegan lentil tacos? If you love this recipe, share a review or comment below! I love to read your feedback on my recipes!
Lentil Taco Recipe
- 2 ripe Avocados - diced
- 1 Red Onion - diced
- 1 cup Corn Kernels - or diced yellow pepper
- 1 cup Coconut Yogurt
- 1 handful Fresh Cilantro
- Prepare one batch of lentil taco meat following my recipe here.
- Cook one batch of my vegan, gluten-free tortillas with coconut flour or with almond flour. You can also buy your favorite vegan tortillas from the store for a quick dinner.
- Warm the tortillas on a skillet for 1 minute on each side, or until warm and puffy.
- Fill each taco with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of warm lentil taco meat and top with some of the fresh topping recommended above: diced avocado, diced red onion, corn kernels, a dollop of fresh coconut yogurt, and cilantro.
- For spicy tacos, add some hot salsa sauce or drops of hot sauce.