The ultimate Vanilla Vegan Mug Cake! This vegan mug cake recipe is an egg-free vanilla mug cake recipe ready in 2 minutes in the microwave. If you are craving a fluffy vanilla cake, this recipe will fix it quickly!
What’s a mug cake?
A mug cake is, as its name implies, a cake baked in a mug. What makes mug cakes so awesome and so popular is that they are one-bowl, no-preparation cakes cooked in a microwave.
You literally have to toss the ingredients in a mug, stir, and put it in the microwave!
Now it doesn’t mean you should not follow a recipe! It’s critical to have the perfect ratio of wet and dry ingredients to make a good mug cake. But once you have it, it’s easy as pie!
How to make a vanilla mug cake in the microwave?
Mug cakes in the microwave are very convenient cake recipes to get your baking goodness fix in less than 2 minutes. To make sure your microwave mug cake always comes out fluffy and moist, there are a few things to consider:
- Microwave power – make sure your microwave is on high power 800W. If your microwave can’t go that high, you will have to increase the baking time by 20-second bursts.
- Mug size – always use a regular size coffee mug diameter of 8cm (3 inches) and a minimum height of 5 cm (1.9 inches). If you were using a wider microwave-safe ramekin, you would have to decrease the baking time. Otherwise, the mug cake would come out dry.
- Baking time – the perfect baking time for a microwave mug cake is 90 seconds in an 800W microwave power and regular coffee mug. However, if you have to change any of these parameters, I recommend starting baking the mug cake for only 60 seconds. Check the texture and keep baking by 20-second bursts until the center is set, moist and fluffy. This will prevent overbaking the mug cake, resulting in a chewy dry cake that won’t taste good.
How to make a vanilla mug cake from scratch?
There is nothing easier than making your own vegan vanilla mug cake. It is the perfect 90-second vegan dessert to fix any sweet craving. All you need is to combine all the ingredients directly into your coffee mug.
For another way of seeing the recipe, check out my story: making the vegan vanilla mug cake!
You don’t even need to use a separate bowl, which is great! The main ingredients you need to make an eggless vanilla mug cake are:
- Flour – the recipe works with all-purpose white flour, gluten-free flour blend, spelt flour, or white whole wheat flour. Oat flour works as well, but the batter will be more fragile and less fluffy. However, almond flour or coconut flour won’t work in this recipe, so don’t be tempted to use them!
- Unsweetened almond milk – or any non-dairy milk you love like oat milk, soy milk, or rice milk.
- Baking powder – or half amount of baking soda if preferred.
- Vanilla extract or essence
- Coconut sugar or white sugar or erythritol for a sugar-free mug cake. I don’t recommend using maple syrup or any liquid sweetener in vegan mug cake recipes. They make cakes too heavy and too dense.
- Coconut oil – or any light oil like avocado oil, almond oil. I had great success with apple sauce for an oil-free mug cake option.
Then bake your vegan vanilla mug cake in the microwave for 90 seconds at 800W. Finally, serve directly in the mug making sure you wait 1 or 2 minutes before you dig in! It is very hot in the center, and you don’t want to burn yourself.
How to serve your vegan cake in a mug?
This is a light, fluffy vanilla mug cake, and it truly reminds me of vanilla cupcakes. It is even better with frosting. The best vegan frosting ideas for mug cake that only take a few minutes to make are:
- A dollop of dairy-free coconut yogurt with a pinch of vegan chocolate chips.
- A drizzle of nut butter – my favorite is peanut butter or almond butter.
- Buttercream Chocolate frosting – beat 2 tablespoons of vegan butter with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder!
- Ice cream – is not a frosting but a delicious and quick way to take your vegan cake in a mug to the next level. Use protein powder ice cream or vanilla ice cream made with non-dairy milk like coconut milk or almond milk. They are delicious, with some vegan chocolate chips on top!
Learn more about how to start your vegan journey with our beginner’s guide to the vegan diet!
Can I bake this easy vanilla mug cake?
Of course, using a microwave is not the perfect method for baking food as it can degrade some precious nutrients from the food. Great news, you can also bake this vanilla mug cake in the oven at 180C (350) for 10-12 minutes. Make sure to use an oven-proof ramekin!
Some ideas to boost your mug cake flavors!
You can tweak this recipe a lot depending to create different vanilla mug cake vegan recipe flavors using the same recipe. Below are some ideas.
- Banana bread mug cake – replace the oil with 1 tablespoon of mashed banana and add a few banana extract drops. This will also be a great option to make an oil-free vegan mug cake.
- Chocolate vegan microwave cake – add 2 teaspoons of cacao powder or cocoa powder and a splash more non-dairy milk into the batter. This option will fix any chocolate cake cravings!
- Chocolate chip mug cake– add 1 tablespoon of vegan chocolate chips!
- Lemon mug cake – swap 2 tablespoons of almond milk with lemon juice.
- Cinnamon roll – add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Peanut butter mug cake – replace oil with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter for less saturated fat. Also, increase non-dairy milk by 1 tablespoon!
- Protein mug cake – add 2 teaspoons of protein powder and increase the milk by 2 tablespoons. However, depending on the protein powder brand, this may dry the mug cake batter. Always add more non-dairy milk to achieve a cake batter that looks like regular cake batter, not too dense!
More quick vegan mug cake recipes
Or, if you feel this mug cake is too small for you, try my vegan vanilla cupcake recipe! It serves 12 fluffy, moist vanilla cupcakes ready in 30 minutes.
If you made this single-serving vegan microwave cake recipe, make sure you share a comment below and leave me a review! I love to hear your feedback and connect with you. Also, if you want to share a picture of your creation, tag me on Instagram!
I look at all your pictures, and I will reply to you!
Your friend, Carine
Vegan vanilla mug cake
- 4 tablespoons All-purpose Flour - unbleached, or whole-wheat flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar - or white sugar or sugar-free erythritol
- 3 tablespoons Almond Milk - (at room temperature) or any plant-based milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil - melted or apple sauce for the oil-free version
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- In a microwave-safe mug, add flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, almond milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla. My coffee mug has a diameter of 3 inches (8 cm) and a minimum height of 1.9 inches (5 cm). This prevents the batter from overflowing.
- Whisk the ingredients together until it forms a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Bake in the microwave for 90 seconds at 800W. If your microwave works at lower power, you may have to increase baking time by 20-second bursts. If your mug is low and wide, your mug cake will bake faster, and you may have to bake only 60 seconds first, then adjust baking by 20-second bursts as well.
- Enjoy immediately with dairy-free coconut yogurt and vegan dark chocolate chips on top or plain.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 10-12 minutes in an oven-safe greased ramekin.