The ultimate vegan vanilla mug cake! This vegan vanilla mug cake is an eggless vanilla mug cake recipe ready in 2 minutes in the microwave. If you are craving a fluffy vanilla cake, this recipe will fix it quickly!
How to make a vanilla mug cake in the microwave?
Mug cakes in the microwave are very convenient cake recipes to get your baking goodness fix in less than 2 minutes. To make sure your mug cake always comes out fluffy and moist there are a few things to consider:
- Microwave power – make sure your microwave is on high power 800W. If your microwave can’t go that high, you will have to increase the baking time by 20 seconds burst
- Mug size – always use a regular size coffee mug diameter 8cm (3 inches) and minimum height of 5 cm (1.9 inches). If you were using a wider microwave safe ramekin, you would have to decrease the baking time or the mug cake would come out dry.
- Baking time – the perfect baking time for a mug cake in the microwave is 90 seconds for a 800W microwave power and regular coffee mug. However, if you have to change any of these parameters, I recommend you start baking the mug cake for only 60 seconds. Check the texture and keep baking by 20 seconds burst until the center is set, moist and fluffy. This will prevent overbaking the mug cake which often result in chewy dry cake that won’t taste good
How to make a vanilla mug cake from scratch?
There is nothing easier than making your own vegan vanilla mug cake. All you need is to combine all the ingredients directly into your coffee mug. You don’t even need to use a separate bowl which is great! The main ingredients you need to make an eggless vanilla mug cake are:
- Flour – the recipe works with all purpose white flour, gluten free flour blend, spelt flour or wholemeal flour. Oat flour works too but the batter will be more fragile and less fluffy.
- Unsweetened almond milk – or any plant based milk you love like oat milk, soy milk or rice milk
- Baking powder – or half amount of baking soda if preferred
- Vanilla extract or essence
- Coconut sugar or white sugar or erythritol for a sugar-free mug cake
- Coconut oil – or any light oil like avocado oil, almond oil. I had great successes with apple sauce too for an oil-free mug cake option
Then bake your vegan vanilla mug cake in the microwave for 90 seconds at 800W. Finally, serve directly in the mug making sure you wait 1 or 2 minutes before you dig in! It is very hot in the center and you don’t want to burn yourself.
A vanilla cupcake in a mug!
So why this title? This is a light, fluffy vanilla mug cake and it truly remind me vanilla cupcakes. It is even better topped with a dollop of dairy-free coconut yoghurt and vegan chocolate chips.
Can I instead bake this vanilla eggless mug cake?
Of course, using a microwave is not the perfect method for baking food as it can degrade some precious nutrients from the food. Great news, you can also bake this vanilla mug cake in the oven at 180C (350) for 10-12 minutes in an oven-proof ramekin!
More quick vegan snacks
- Vegan mug brownies – a 90-second fudgy vegan brownie recipe in the microwave
- 3 ingredients no bake peanut butter cookies – a 15-minute no bake cookie recipe for peanut butter lovers
If you made this vanilla eggless mug cake make sure you share a comment below and leave me a review! I love to hear your feedback and connect with you. Also, if you want to share a picture of your creation, tag me on Instagram! I look at all your pictures and I will reply to you!
Your friend, Carine
Vegan vanilla mug cake
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour or wholewheat flour or all purpose gluten-free flour (32g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or white sugar or sugar-free erythritol (12g)
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (at room temperature) or any plant base milk of your choice (45ml)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , melted or apple sauce for oil-free version (15ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a coffee mug, add flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, almond milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla. My coffee mug has a diameter of 8 cm (3 inches) and minimum height of 5 cm (1.9 inches) this prevent the batter to overflow.
- Whisk the ingredients together until it forms a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Bake in the microwave for 90 seconds at 800W. If your microwave works at a lower power, you may have to increase baking time by 20 seconds burst. If your mug is low and wide, your mug cake will bake faster and you may have to bake only 60 seconds first then adjust baking by 20 seconds burst.
- Enjoy immediately with dairy-free coconut yoghurt and vegan dark chocolate chips on top or plain.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 10-12 minutes in an oven safe greased ramekin.