Almond flour sugar cookies are easy 3 ingredients healthy sugar cookies with almond flour. Plus, they are gluten free, grain free and paleo friendly too !
There is no secreat this blog is about sharing easy healthy vegan comfort food recipe, particularly vegan cookies !
Almond flour sugar cookies
There is nothing easier than baking with almond flour, it is actually one of the easiest grain free flour to bake with. It is not as tricky as coconut flour because it doens’t contains as much fiber so don’t hesitate a second and give a try to those simple almond flour sugar cookies! Shall we? Plus as an healthy vegan foodie you probably have all those 3 ingredients in your home, so no need to wait.
- Vegan butter – I love to use a brand made of coconut oil, palm oil free
- Almond flour – use blanched thin almond flour for best result
- Coconut sugar – or any unrefined crystal sugar you like
Healthy low sugar cookies
Those are healthy low sugar cookies thanks to the small addition of coconut sugar. In fact, 100 grams of coconut sugar contains only 75 grams of sugar and this recipe use a very small amount. Consequently, one of those almond flour sugar cookies contains only 2 grams of sugar !
How to make healthy sugar cookies with almond flour ?
Gluten free vegan cookies are easy to make but I reocmmend you follow those 3 main steps for best results.
- First, beat vegan butter and sugar together to create a fluffy mixture and incorporate the sugar into the butter. This will prevent pieces of sugar into the vegan sugar cookies
- Then, add the almond flour and use the electric beater again to combine and form a crumble. Only use your hands to knead the dough at the end and form the cookie dough.
- Finally. always place the dough 10 minutes in the fridge before rolling and make sure you roll the dough between pieces of parchment paper or it will stick o the roller pin
Ideas to flavor your healthy sugar cookies
You can play with spices and create a range of flavorsome almond flour sugar cookies. My favorite is to add one of those:
- Cinnamon, ginger or pumpkin spices – 1 teaspoon ground spices is enough for this dough size
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon liquid vanilla extract
- Grated orange zest or lemon zest – add 1 tablespoon
Watch the vegan cookies recipe video and make them now !
Your friend, Carine.
Almond flour sugar cookies
Optional flavoring ideas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground spices cinnamon or pumpkin spices or ginger
- 1 tablesoon grated orange zest or lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F). Line a cookie tray with parchement paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat vegan butter and coconut sugar with an electic beater until fluffy and well incorporated - about 20 seconds on medium speed.
- Add in almond flour (and optional flavoring if desired) and using the electric beater again, beat all the ingredients together to form a consistent crumble. Use your hands to gather the dough pieces and form a dough ball.
- Place the dough ball in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place the ball between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough with a roller pin, thickness of your choice, the thinner the faster it cook and the crispier/harder they get. I recommend not too thin or they burn, the best is about half cm thick.
- Peel off the top parchment paper sheet and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Lift a flat tool (knife, spatula) under the cookie to transfer onto the prepared cookie tray.
- Gather the leftover dough, form a ball, and roll again following the same process. You should be able to form 20 sugar cookies with this recipe.
- Bake the cookies in the center of your oven until sides are slightly golden brown, about 8-12 minutes. If you roll thin cookies it will bake fast otherwise it can take up to 12 minutes to bake. They will stay slightly soft after 8 minutes and that is what you want, they harden and crisp when cooling down like all shortbread recipe. Don't overbake to get them hard in the oven or they will burn.
- Cool down on a cookie rack before decorating with melted vegan dark chocolate, icing sugar or serve plain.
- Store up to 3 weeks in a cookie jar, sealed, at room temperature