Almond flour sugar cookies are easy 3-ingredient healthy sugar cookies with almond flour. Plus, they are gluten free, grain free and paleo friendly too!
There’s no secret, this blog is about sharing easy healthy vegan comfort food recipes, particularly vegan cookies!
Almond flour sugar cookies
There’s nothing easier than baking with almond flour, it’s actually one of the easiest grain-free flours to bake with. It’s not as tricky as coconut flour because it doesn’t contain as much fiber so don’t hesitate a second and give a try to these simple almond flour sugar cookies! Plus, as a healthy vegan foodie you probably have all the 3 ingredients in your pantry, so no need to wait.
- Vegan butter – I love to use a brand made of coconut oil, palm oil free,
- Almond flour – use blanched fine almond flour for best results.
- Coconut sugar – or any unrefined crystal sugar you like.
Healthy low sugar cookies
These are healthy low sugar cookies thanks to the small addition of coconut sugar. In fact, 100 grams of coconut sugar contain only 75 grams of sugar and this recipe uses a very small amount. Consequently, one of these almond flour sugar cookies contains only 2 grams of sugar!
How to make healthy sugar cookies with almond flour?
Gluten-free vegan cookies are easy to make but I recommend you follow these 3 main steps for best results.
- First, beat the vegan butter and sugar together to create a fluffy mixture and incorporate the sugar into the butter. This will prevent pieces of sugar into the vegan sugar cookies.
- Then, add the almond flour and use the electric beater again to combine and form a crumble. Only use your hands to knead the dough at the end and form the cookie dough.
- Finally. always place the dough 10 minutes in the fridge before rolling and make sure you roll the dough between pieces of parchment paper or it will stick o the roller pin.
Ideas to flavor your healthy sugar cookies
You can play with spices and create a range of flavorsome almond flour sugar cookies. My prefered option is to add one of the following:
- Cinnamon, ginger or pumpkin spices – 1 teaspoon ground spices is enough for this size of dough.
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon liquid vanilla extract.
- Grated orange zest or lemon zest – add 1 tablespoon.
Watch the vegan cookies recipe video and make them now !
Your friend, Carine.
Almond flour sugar cookies
Optional flavoring ideas
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon All spices - cinnamon or pumpkin spices or ginger
- 1 tablesoon Grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a cookie tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat vegan butter and coconut sugar with an electric beater until fluffy and well incorporated - about 20 seconds on medium speed.
- Add in almond flour (and optional flavoring if desired) and using the electric beater again, beat all the ingredients together to form a consistent crumble. Use your hands to gather the dough pieces and form a dough ball.
- Place the dough ball in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place the ball between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough with a roller pin, thickness of your choice, the thinner the faster it cooks and the crispier/harder they get. I recommend not too thin or they burn, the best is about half a cm thick.
- Peel off the top parchment paper sheet and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Lift a flat tool (knife, spatula) under the cookie to transfer onto the prepared cookie tray.
- Gather the leftover dough, form a ball, and roll again following the same process. You should be able to form 20 sugar cookies with this recipe.
- Bake the cookies in the center of your oven until sides are slightly golden brown, about 8-12 minutes. If you roll thin cookies it will bake fast otherwise it can take up to 12 minutes to bake. They will stay slightly soft after 8 minutes and that is what you want, they harden and crisp when cooling down like all shortbread recipe. Don't overbake to get them hard in the oven or they will burn.
- Cool down on a cookie rack before decorating with melted vegan dark chocolate, icing sugar or serve plain.
- Store up to 3 weeks in a cookie jar, sealed, at room temperature