Learn how to make a thick, creamy chocolate banana strawberry smoothie to start the day packed with nutrients. Plus, this healthy chocolate banana smoothie without milk or yoghurt contains 7g of fiber and 3.8g of protein to keep you full for longer.
A healthy Chocolate banana strawberry smoothie
This chocolate banana smoothie is packed with simple nutritious ingredients: healthy fat, fiber and protein. It means that you can drink this smoothie as a fulfilling vegan snack or vegan breakfast shake! Let’s see what you need to make this strawberry banana smoothie without yogurt or milk, because yes, it is a vegan smoothie!
- Frozen strawberries – frozen fruits make smoothies creamier and strawberry marries very well with chocolate.
- Ripe banana – for natural sweetness and extra creamy texture. The ripest the fruit, the sweeter the smoothie will be.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk or any plant-based milk you love.
- Ripe avocado – it adds healthy fat and gives the most creamy thick texture to the smoothie!
- Dates – for extra boost of sweetness while adding magnesium, potassium, iron and vitamin B6. I used small deglet noor dates. Medjool dates are larger!
- Chia Seeds – for extra protein and fiber.
Smoothie add-on ideas
The good thing with smoothies is that you can play with their ingredients. For example, you can add greens like spinach or kale in this recipe to sneak some extra veggie into your day. But in general, I recommend keeping the same ratio of frozen ingredients to liquid to get the perfect consistency.
- Vegetables – add kale, spinach or cucumber.
- Seeds – add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds,flaxseed, hemp seeds.
- Nut or seed butter – add 1 tablespoon of almond butter, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter.
Chocolate banana smoothie: a dessert for breakfast
Do you love dessert for breakfast? this chocolate banana smoothie is creamy as a chocolate pudding, very satisfying and therefore tastes like dessert. Don’t get me wrong here, it still is the best healthy breakfast shake or post-workout drink. In fact, one serve of this strawberry chocolate smoothie brings you:
- 3.8g protein
- 8g fiber
- Only natural sugar from fruits
More vegan chocolate avocado recipes
Avocado is the best ingredient to add creamy thick texture to desserts without using yoghurt or milk. For the chocolate and avocado lovers I recommend you also try:
Have you tried this healthy chocolate smoothie? Share a picture with me on Instagram !
Your friend, Carine
chocolate banana strawberry smoothie
- 1/2 cup Strawberries - Frozen
- 1 Banana - small , sliced
- 1/2 Avocado - small (1/4 cup mashed avocado)
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Chia seeds
- 4-6 Deglet noor dates - soft pitted OR 2 medjool dates or 4 stevia drops or 2 sugar free erythritol
- 1 cup Coconut milk - unsweetened or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Strawberries - fresh
- 1 tablespoon Dark chocolate - or cocoa nibs
- Add all ingredients into the blender, order doesn't matter. Starts with 4 small deglet noor dates you will adjust later if you want a sweeter smoothie!
- Blend until smooth. If it's too thick, this may happen if your banana is larger, add a splash more of unsweetened coconut milk, up to 1/4 cup extra. Blend between each addition. The more milk you add the more liquid it will be so don't add too much or you will lose the thick silky texture.
- Taste the smoothie, if not sweet enough, add 2 more dates, blend to combine.
- Serve as 2 small smoothies or 1 large breakfast smoothie.
- You can store the smoothie in the fridge for 24 hours in an airtight jug or into glasses sealed on top. Give a good stir before serving as the ingredients can separate and form layers.
- Freeze in popsicle molds to make creamy vegan chocolate popsicles!