These 3-ingredient banana muffins are easy, healthy banana muffins with no added sugar, no eggs or dairy. They have a lovely chewy texture, perfect for a kid’s snack or if you are after a healthier vegan treat made with minimal ingredients.
Before you start baking these muffins, remember that they are not classic vegan banana muffins. Their texture is much chewier, and they must be baked in silicone cups, not in paper liners, or they will stick to the paper because the recipe is oil-free.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Just 3 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes
- No added sugar
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Self-Raising Flour – This flour contains baking powder and will raise your muffins very well. You can’t use oat flour or almond flour in this recipe, it won’t work. But, you can swap the self-raising flour for all-purpose flour and baking powder – see the ratio in note 1 of the recipe card below. I haven’t tried gluten-free flour for this recipe so I can’t comment on how it would come out.
- Overripe Bananas – The recipe has only 3 ingredients and no sweetener, so the ripeness of the bananas matters. The darker the spots on the banana skin, the sweeter the muffins. Make sure you also measure the amount of mashed banana after mashing. You need to follow the measurements as too much banana makes the batter too packed, and not enough makes it dry.
- Canned Coconut Cream or canned coconut milk. Canned coconut cream replaces both the milk and oil that you usually add to a regular muffin recipe. The recipe can be made with oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk, but the texture is not as fluffy. My tip for this ingredient is to shake the can of coconut cream very well before opening so both layers in the can are combined.
How To Make 3-Ingredient Banana Muffins
Before you start, you must use silicone muffin cups or silicone muffin tins for this recipe. The muffins tend to stick to paper liners or regular muffin pans because they are made without butter or oil. If using silicone cups, place them in a muffin pan rather than a baking sheet to ensure the muffins raise well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas. Pack measuring cups with the mashed banana to measure the exact amount called by the recipe.
- Stir in coconut cream, and self-raising flour until the dough is fluffy.
- Fill each silicone muffin cups up to 3/4 their level.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 25 minutes to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool down on a cooling rack before serving.
Expert Tips for Adjusting the Taste and Texture
Like any 3-ingredients recipe, you can’t expect too much flavor since there’s no added sugar or extract in the batter. That’s why I always recommend adding some of the below ingredients if you are after more flavor.
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- 1/3 cup of sugar or coconut sugar to boost sweetness.
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chopped walnuts or blueberries.
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
Frequently Asked Questions
These banana muffins are chewy, no very sweet with a natural banana flavor from the ripe bananas.
You can store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can freeze the muffins in zip-lock bags for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Banana Muffin Recipes
Did You Like This Recipe?
3-Ingredient Banana Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). You must use silicone muffin cups or a 12-hole muffin silicone pan for this recipe. Don't use paper liners. The muffins would stick to them. Place the muffin silicone cup in the muffin tray. Set aside.
- Peel and mash the bananas, and measure 1½ cup of mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, coconut cream, and self-raising flour.
- Stir with a silicone spatula until it forms a moist muffin batter. Fold in any of the additional ingredients and stir in to combine.
- Fill all the muffin holes up to 3/4 of their level.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes at 350°F (180°C) until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove immediately from the silicone cups and cool on a rack.