This Almond Flour Cake Recipe Without Eggs is a vegan version of French Almond Cake with a delicious buttery, frangipane cake crumb.
Plus, this eggless almond cake recipe is also vegan, sugar-free, and diabetes friendly.
If you have followed The Conscious Plant Kitchen for a while, you know we love to recreate a vegan version of popular French recipes.
Baking Almond Flour Without Eggs
This almond flour cake is all about delivering the same taste and texture I used to love in French almond cakes without the eggs and with a sugar-free option.
But using almond flour in vegan baking recipes is a challenge.
In fact, almond flour is a low-carb flour that doesn’t contain starch and therefore normally requires eggs as a binder.
To make an egg-less almond flour cake, it’s crucial to add another flour to the recipe. There are no other options.
Egg replacers like flax egg or store-bought dry egg replacers will never bind almond flour in vegan cakes.
You can make delicious almond flour cookies purely made of almond flour but when it comes to cake, it doesn’t work.
Cakes are thicker and heavier, and they need a starchy binder.
So you have three options when it comes to choosing flour to bind almond flour in a vegan cake recipe:
- All-Purpose Flour – All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour works as well.
- Spelt Flour – Spelt is similar to wheat and makes great vegan recipes.
- Starchy Flours like potato starch or rice flour, but they increase the carbs and sugar in cakes even more, so not my favorite option. Plus, they make almond cakes a bit gummy.
How To Make Almond Flour Cake Recipe Without Eggs
You don’t need an electric beater, egg replacers, or any fancy tools to make this egg-free almond cake recipe. It’s as straightforward as it gets.
All you need are very basic pantry ingredients and it’s also a one-bowl cake recipe so everyone can make it at home in 10 minutes.
- All-Purpose Flour – Sift the flour before using it. You can also use white spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour for a gluten-free almond cake.
- Almond Flour – Make sure you are using ultra-fine almond flour with a light gold color and fine texture. Almond meal is coarser, darker in color and it makes cakes grainy.
- Almond Milk – You can use unsweetened almond milk or any plant-based milk you love such as oat milk, cashew milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.
- Melted Vegan Butter – Melted coconut oil also works instead of plant-based butter but the cake is a bit crumbly with it. Other great options are canola oil or light olive oil.
- Vanilla Extract – To add a delicious taste.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The acidity of apple cider vinegar contributes to making the cake airier.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sweetener – You can use white sugar or erythritol as a sugar-free alternative for a low-carb vegan cake.
- Almond Extract – Almond Extract increases the almond flavors of the flour.
- Sliced Almond – Sliced raw or roasted almonds to decorate the top of the cake.
- Powdered Sugar – or powdered erythritol to decorate the cake.
This is a simple 1-bowl almond flour cake, nothing difficult at all.
In a large bowl, whisk very well all the dry ingredients: sifted flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then add almond milk, melted vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and almond extract.
Use a silicone spatula to stir and just combine all ingredients together. Don’t over stir, just stir until no more flour is seen and the batter is light and smooth.
Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with vegan butter or coconut oil.
Pour the cake batter in the pan and spread evenly.
Baking The Almond Flour Cake
Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the cake and slightly press them to stick to the cake batter.
Bake the almond flour cake at 350°F (180°C) on the center rack of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean or with very little crumb on it.
I like to remove the cake from the oven when a tiny amount of crumbs shows at the end of the toothpick because the cake batter is still moist.
Let the cake cool down in its pan for 10 minutes, then release it on a wire rack.
Serving Vegan Almond Flour Cake
This almond flour cake is delicious on its own but bring it to the next level by adding:
- Dust of powdered sugar or powdered sugar-free sweetener.
- A drizzle of orange syrup – Mix 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and one tablespoon of orange juice and warm it in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool down and drizzle on top of the cake for an orange almond cake. It’s the perfect combo for a vegan Christmas cake.
- Scoop of Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice Cream
You can store this almond flour cake without eggs at room temperature in a sealed cake box for up to 2 days or up to 4 days in the fridge.
You can also freeze the almond flour cake in a sealed container and thaw at room temperature the day before.
Below I listed some options to make this cake recipe based on your food allergies:
- Sugar-Free – The great news about this almond flour cake is that you can make it low-carb and diabetes-friendly! Simply use a sugar-free granulated sweetener and use the same amount as called by the recipe. The best choices are erythritol, allulose or xylitol. For the cake decoration, use a powdered version of the sugar-free sweeteners.
- Gluten-Free – Almond flour is naturally gluten-free. Then, make sure you use a gluten-free certified baking powder and a all-purpose gluten-free flour with a 1:1 ratio.
- Oil-Free – I didn’t try an oil-free version of this recipe. I am unsure how it would come out if you replaced the oil with unsweetened apple sauce but feel free to experiment and let me know.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below I listed the answers to your most frequent questions about this almond cake:
Can I Swap All-Purpose Flour For More Almond Flour?
No, you can’t use only almond flour in this egg-free almond flour cake.
Almond flour is a low-carb flour with minimal starch, and it can’t bind the batter of the cake without the help of a high starch flour or eggs, but we don’t use eggs in our recipes.
So for this vegan almond flour cake, you must use another flour to supplement almond flour.
Can I Add Orange Flavor?
Yes, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract or swap half the amount of almond milk for freshly squeezed orange juice to make an orange almond cake.
Is This Almond Flour Cake Low-Carb?
Yes, with 10.6 grams of net carbs per slice, 1.4 grams of sugar (using erythritol as a sweetener), and 6 grams of protein, this cake is a very fulfilling low-carb vegan cake alternative.
More Eggless Almond Flour Recipes
I’ve listed below some more almond flour recipes without eggs:
Did you try this eggless almond cake recipe? Share a comment or review below to connect with me.
Almond Flour Cake Recipe Without Eggs
- 1 ½ cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour - sifted, note 1
- ½ cup Granulated Sweetener - note 2
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar - note 3
- ⅓ cup Vegan Butter - melted (note 4)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan with oil or vegan butter. Cover the bottom with greased parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients: sifted flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar, and whisk very well to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add almond milk, melted vegan butter, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Use a silicone spatula to stir the almond flour cake batter until just combined and no more flour lumps can be seen. Don't over-stir or the cake will be gummy.
- Transfer the cake batter to the cake pan and sprinkle some sliced almonds over the top.
- Slightly press the almonds on the batter to make them stick.
- Bake the cake on the center rack of your oven for 35-40 minutes at 350°F (180°C) or until golden brown on the top and a pick inserted in the center of the cake come out dry or with a little crumb on it.
- Cool the cake down for 5-10 minutes in the pan. The cake will flatten, that's normal.
- Transfer to a wire rack and wait 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Serve with powdered sugar on top.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days in the fridge.