This easy, healthy beet latte is a caffeine-free vibrant pink latte with delicious sweet vanilla and nutty flavor.
It’s the perfect pre-workout drink to boost your stamina, endurance, and energy for the day.
What’s A Beetroot Latte?
A beetroot latte is a velvety, bright pink latte made without coffee.
A beet latte is essentially made of beetroot powder, frothed plant-based milk, and naturally sweet or sweetened with a touch of refined sugar-free sweeteners.
It is a healthy performance-enhancing hot drink to boost your energy before working out.
What’s Beet Powder Good For?
Beetroot powder is made from freeze-dried concentrated beetroot juice. It’s one of the plant powders with the highest levels of dietary nitrates, even more than fresh beetroot.
In the body, nitrates are converted into nitric oxide, a molecule that dilates blood vessels to increase blood flow. As a result, consuming beetroot powder as an endurance athlete is a great way to boost:
- blood circulation and oxygen in the body
- stamina and energy
- muscle recovery
Why Is Beetroot Latte Healthy?
A beetroot pink latte is a healthy, delicious way to start the day with a caffeine-free hot drink.
In fact, the beet latte is made of beet powder, an amazing plant powder with high nutrition profile.
Some of the health benefits that beet powder has been proven to bring to our bodies are:
- Improved blood flow and decreased cardiovascular disease
- High in vitamins and minerals
How To Make Beetroot Latte
It is very easy to make a velvety beet latte recipe at home.
Beet latte ingredients
First, prepare all your ingredients. All you need to make this vegan caffeine-free recipe with bright pink colors are:
- Beet powder – you can find beet powder in sports shops, pharmacies, or the health aisle of your grocery store.
- Canned coconut milk – this adds a creamy texture to the latte without adding any dairy.
- Almond milk – to make a delicious latte, you need frothed milk. Almond milk is one of the best dairy-free milk to froth in a milk frother. It forms a thick foam that adds a velvety texture to the drink.
- Maple syrup – or stevia drops or any sweetener you love, sugar-free sweeteners work as well.
- Vanilla extract
Dissolve the pink mixture
First, add the beet powder into a small saucepan along with the sweetener of choice, vanilla extract, and warm water.
Whisk vigorously to combine.
Once the beet mixture is perfectly combined, add the coconut milk and 1/4 cup of almond milk. The remaining milk is used later to top the drink with frothed milk.
Warming the milk
Now, bring the saucepan over medium heat and warm the beet milk for about 2-3 minutes until hot.
Pour the milk into a tall coffee mug and set it aside.
Frothing the milk
Finally, add the remaining 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk to a milk frother to create foamed milk. I use a Nespresso milk frother to do this.
If you don’t have one, add all the almond milk in the previous step and warm it along with the other ingredients.
Assembling the drink
Add the frothed almond milk to the coffee mug on top of the hot beet coconut milk and serve immediately.
For another perspective on this recipe, watch my story: making the beetroot latte!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add coffee to a pink latte?
Yes, you can add a shot of espresso to this beetroot latte recipe. I recommend adding the expresso to your coffee mug first.
Then, top the espresso with the pink coconut milk and finally top up with frothed almond milk.
However, from a nutritional point of view, I don’t recommend adding caffeine to beet powder.
In fact, beet powder is high in vitamin C, and caffeine sabotages its absorption.
Adding coffee to a beet latte negates some of the health benefits and natural energy-boosting properties of the beet powder.
When should I drink a beet latte?
Beet Latte is a great morning drink to boost your energy and endurance.
If you use this vegan latte recipe as a performance drink, aim for 3-4 hours before the event.
It gives the beet powder time to reach your system and boost your blood flow and improve your energy.
How does beet latte taste?
It does taste slightly like beetroot since the drink contains a good amount of beet powder.
It also has a sweet vanilla-maple coconut flavor coming from the rest of the added ingredients.
The texture is light, creamy, and velvety if you add the frothed almond milk on top.
More Vegan Drink Recipes
If you like this beetroot latte, you’ll also love the following recipes:
Have you made this beetroot latte recipe? Share a review or comment below with me! I love to hear your feedback on my recipes.
- In a small saucepan, add beet powder along with warm water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk to combine and dissolve the beet mixture.
- Add in coconut milk and 1/4 cup of the almond milk in the saucepan.
- Bring the pan over medium heat, and warm the beet milk, often stirring until hot – it takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the hot beetroot milk into a tall coffee mug and set it aside while frothing milk.
- Now, froth the remaining 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk in a milk frother or a coffee mug, using a hand milk frother (not all brands froth well. See notes for my recommendations).
- Top the coffee mug with the frothed almond milk and serve.
- Taste and adjust sweetness to your taste.