These 2-Ingredient Air Fryer Apple Chips are low-calorie, healthy snack ready in less than 15 minutes for a delicious crispy snack.
Plus, compared to the store-bought apple chips, this version is not fried, oil-free, and contains no added sugar for a good-for-you snack.
My kids love apples and even more crispy apple chips. However, the ones from the grocery store are often chewy and soft or contain added oil or sugar.
So I found the best way to make a quick 15-minute low-sugar apple snack for them in my air fryer.
This new air fryer recipe delivers the best healthy but addictive, crispy apple chips.
How To Make Air Fryer Apple Chips
It’s so easy to air fry apple slices that once we make that recipe you will make it over and over.
All you need are 2 ingredients:
- Crisp Apples – Make sure you use crisp apple varieties like Jazz, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, or Fuji. Starchy apples won’t crisp as much.
Cutting The Apples
The first step consists of slicing the apple into thin 1/8-inch slices (0.3 cm).
This is a must! If your apple slices are too thick, they will never crisp and stay super soft.
You can use a mandolin, my favorite option, or a sharp knife, but it’s much more difficult to keep the thickness under control with the knife.
You can also core the apple first with an apple corer, but it sometimes creates a bit more waste.
Slice the apple in half first, then use a pipping bag nozzle to cut out the center of each apple slice.
Compost the center of the apple and place the apple slices in a large bowl.
Sprinkle the ground cinnamon evenly on top of the apple slices and toss to cover evenly.
I recommend tossing and massaging with your hands to avoid breaking the apple slices.
In fact, the slices are thin and fragile, and a spatula or spoon applies too much pressure on them and could break them.
Air Frying Apple Chips
Now, place the apple slices in a single layer on the air fryer basket. Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for 3 minutes.
Flip the apple slices and keep air frying for 4 to 6 minutes checking often.
Checking The Cooking
The apple slices dry out and get lighter as they cook. They might start flying in the air fryer and can get stuck in the heating compartment of the air fryer.
So watch out and check often to make sure the chips stay in the basket. If they move too much, add pie weights to stabilize the chips in the basket.
Stop The Cooking
The issue with apple chips in the air fryer is that they go quickly from crispy to burnt.
So check them often and remove the ones that are crispy first, keeping the remaining softer apple chips in the basket until they crisp.
Remove the apple chips from the basket when they are golden brown and crispy. Cooking time in the air fryer vary from 6 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway.
Air frying time depends mostly on:
- The thickness of your slices
- Apple Variety
- If the slices overlap during air frying
Let the apple chips cool down on a rack to help air circulate and make the chips even crispier.
Cool down for 2 minutes or so and if some are getting softer, simply return to the air fryer for a few more minutes.
Serving Apple Chips
Apple chips are delicious healthy addictive snacks on their own. They taste like apple pie, but minus all the sugar and calories.
You don’t have to pair them with anything even if they are even tastier dipped into:
I like to make a single batch of this recipe because the apple chips always soften with time.
But they keep up to 3 to 4 days in the pantry, in a cool dry place stored in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Would This Recipe Work With Other Fruits?
Crisp pears work as well with this recipe.
Can I Bake Apple Chips In The Oven?
Baked apple chips take about 3 hours to make. Place a wire rack on top of a baking tray and lay the apple slices on top of the wire rack.
Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 3 hours until the chips are dry and crispy.
They are the perfect addition to a kid’s lunch box for a delicious snack at school that is nut-free and low-sugar.
Did you try these apple chips in the air fryer? Share a comment or review below.
Air Fryer Apple Chips
- 1 Apple - crisp apple like Fuji, Jazz, honeycrisp
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Using a mandoline slicer, or sharp knife, slice the apple into thin 1/8-inch slices (0.3cm). To do so, hold the top of the apple with one hand and slice from the bottom part.
- Pit the center of each slice using a small round shape – I used a pipping bag nozzle – see the picture above for a visual guide.
- Place the slices in a bowl, sprinkle cinnamon evenly over the slices and use your hand to toss and rub cinnamon all other the slices.
- Place the apple slices in the air fryer basket, in a single layer – don't overlap or they won't crisp.
- Air fry at 375°F (190°C), for 3 minutes, open the basket flip or shake the basket and return for 5-6 minutes. You must check often because they go from crispy golden-brown to burnt very fast. Also, as they dry they get lighter and fly into the air fryer and can stick to the top part of the air fryer. If they move too much, place a heavy weight on them like pie weights to stabilize them in the basket.
- Remove from the air fryer and cool on a rack. If too soft, return a few minutes in the air fryer.
- Serve plain or dip into peanut butter for a healthy snack.
- Store in a glass mason jar for up to 3 days in the pantry.