An easy Pizza Rolls Air Fryer recipe to create delicious soft, chewy pizza buns filled with pizza sauce, cheese, and any toppings you love. Plus, these homemade air fryer pizza rolls are better for you as they use homemade pizza dough!
How to make pizza rolls in the air fryer?
It’s so easy to make pizza rolls in your air fryer basket! It’s also pretty convenient:
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Cooks in less than 10 minutes.
- Almost no cleaning is required.
- No parchment paper or foil is needed.
So to make delicious pizza rolls in an air fryer, the first thing is to make your rolls.
To do so, you need the ingredients below:
- Pizza dough – you can use my homemade pizza dough recipe or spelt pizza dough recipe for a more nutritious option or use frozen or store-bought pizza dough.
- Pizza sauce – can be tomato passata or marinara sauce.
- Oil spray bottle – olive oil or avocado oil are great choices to spray on the air fryer basket. Both have a high smoke point which means they are stable at high temperatures and better for your health. Also, I recommend filling an oil spray bottle with pure olive oil or avocado oil instead of using store-bought oil spray. This is simply because many air fryer baskets get their non-stick coating removed by the commercial oil spray. So to preserve the air fryer basket, use pure oil and a spray bottle. It will also save you from all the unnecessary additives from store-bought oil sprays.
- Shredded cheese – we used dairy-free shredded mozzarella but any cheese work. Use what you love.
- Toppings – classic recipes use chorizo, and you can, of course, use vegan chorizo for a plant-based version, but it’s hard to find. Our favorite options are sundried tomatoes or spinach to make vegan pizza rolls.
First, roll the pizza dough into a 10×12-inch rectangle (25 x 30 cm). Then, poke the surface with your fingers and then spray some oil to prevent the pizza roll fillings from turning the dough soggy.
Next, spread tomato sauce, leaving 1 cm from the rectangle edges uncovered. Then, add a single layer of cheese and topping of choice – we use sundried tomatoes.
Finally, roll the dough as you would roll cinnamon rolls, starting from the wider side of the rectangle, holding tight, and roll into a cylinder shape.
Pinch the seam to seal.
The best way to cut your pizza rolls and prevent the filling from running out is to freeze the cylinder for 15 minutes before slicing.
Transfer the filled cylinder of pizza dough onto a plate or board, seam down and freeze.
After that time, remove the dough from the freezer and slice the cylinder into twelve 1-inch thick pizza rolls.
Seal bottom of each pizza roll
This pizza rolls recipe is air fried directly in the air fryer basket. It means you don’t add a piece of parchment paper or foil to the basket.
To prevent the pizza roll filling from dripping out through the air fryer basket mesh, you need to seal the bottom of each pizza roll, as seen in the picture below.
Rub a small amount of olive oil at the bottom of the pizza roll.
Then spray the air fryer basket with oil and place the rolls in a single layer in the basket, making sure they don’t touch each other.
Air frying the Rolls
Air fried pizza rolls cooking time vary from 10-12 minutes in an air fryer at 380°F (190°C).
Depending on how thick you cut the pizza rolls, it can take longer or less. I like to check the baking every 2 minutes after 8 minutes.
As soon as the dough is golden brown and you get crispy pizza rolls, stop the air fryer and remove the rolls from the basket.
Should I use foil or parchment paper with my air fryer?
You don’t need to use foil or parchment paper for these pizza rolls as they are easy to transfer.
Cool and season
Cool the rolls down for a few minutes on a wire rack before serving and sprinkle some dried herbs on top of the pizza rolls like:
- Serving ideas
These air fryer pizza rolls are even more delicious dipped in sauce like:
- Ranch dressing – there are a lot of delicious dairy-free options available on the market.
- Marinara sauce
You can store the air-fried pizza rolls in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for later.
For frozen foods, place the cooked frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer at 390°F (200°C) and air fry for 12-14 minutes or until cooked through.
To rewarm cold pizza rolls, place in air fryer at 180C (325F) from 6-7 minutes.
More fun party food recipes
Have you made these pizza rolls in the air fryer? Let me know how it went, I love to connect with you!
Your friend, Carine
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Prepare the pizza dough following my recipe, divide the dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll half of the dough into a 10x12-inch rectangle and brush 1 teaspoon olive oil on top of the dough to prevent the fillings from getting the dough soggy.
- Poke the dough with your fingers, then spread 1/3 cup pizza sauce, leaving 1 inch empty from the sauce on the sides. Then top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 sundried tomatoes.
- Tightly roll the dough into a cylinder as you would for cinnamon rolls, starting from the long sides of the rectangle. Pinch the top to seal the seam.
- Place the log onto a chopping board, seam down, and freeze for 15 minutes. This makes the roll easier to slice and prevents the filling from running out when slicing.
- Slice it into twelve 1-inch thick rolls and pinch the bottom of each pizza roll bottom to seal - see my picture above in this post for visual guidance.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil - avocado or olive oil.
- Rub olive oil at the bottom of each pizza rolls to prevent them from sticking to the basket, then place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure they don't touch each other.
- Air fry at 390°F (200°C) for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the basket and cool down on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining pizza dough to form 12 more pizza rolls or freeze leftover pizza dough in an airtight container and thaw the day before using.
- Store the cooked pizza rolls in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container and rewarm in an air fryer for 5-6 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
- Freeze leftover pizza rolls in an airtight container and place the cooked frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer basket at 400°F (200°C) for 10-12 minutes to rewarm.